Cheese cloth

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Definitely in the sewing section at Walmart but I use a sheer white curtain (cut in pieces) for re-usable cheesecloth. I am going to get some white muslin also for cheesemaking purposes.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Definitely in the sewing section at Walmart but I use a sheer white curtain (cut in pieces) for re-usable cheesecloth. I am going to get some white muslin also for cheesemaking purposes.
Yes if going to be used for straining the white nylon curtain panels are the way to go Much stronger than cheese cloth and does not absorb anywhere near the amount of liquid. Otherwise look in the first aid section of a drug store bandage guaze[it comes in pads that can be unfolded as well as rolls] seems identical to cheese cloth, just check to be sure the guaze isn't treated with medication

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The last time I made marmalade the recipe said to save the seeds, and put them in a small square of cheesecloth, and tie it together to form a little bag. The seeds contain pectin, but you want to able to remove them easily from the finished marmalade. If that is what your recipe is asking you to do then you might check on other ways to do the same thing. A metal tea ball would work; some other kind of thin, undyed fabric would work; netting would work. Or leave the seeds out altogether - if using commercial pectin it shouldn't matter, if not, then the marmalade might be a bit looser than if you had used the seeds.
I have found cheesecloth at Joanne's fabric store, but haven't looked for a long time, so perhaps it isn't there anymore. I buy several yards of unbleached muslin when I can get it on sale - its cheap even so, but cheaper is better :lol:. I use it for anything that calls for cheesecloth. It is woven tighter, but seems to work fine.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Our Wal-Mart doesn't really have a sewing section, just a small craft section with some needles and thread and no fabric or Cheese cloth. I Think I might just go to the fabric store and pick up some muslin. I had not though of that, so thanks to those of you who mentioned it. I have been wanting to hit the fabric store anyway.

BirdBrain - The recipe says to squeeze the juice into a cheesecloth lined bowl, scrape the seeds and pulp into the cheesecloth and tie it up. It also suggests that you leave it tied up in the cheesecloth for 24 hours before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. Because I am a beginner I want to follow the recipe exactly. I usually change regular cooking recipes as I see fit once I have made them once or twice, but the only thing I have ever canned was some fig preserves, so I am learning the process for now.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our Joann's has cheese cloth. I had to ask for it. It wasn't in the utility fabric row where I thought it would be. I had to ask for it. It was pre cut/pre packaged in the notions area, I think.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ChaneyLakegirl said:
Our Joann's has cheese cloth. I had to ask for it. It wasn't in the utility fabric row where I thought it would be. I had to ask for it. It was pre cut/pre packaged in the notions area, I think.
Thanks. There is a Joann's not too far from where I work. i think I am going to go there on my lunch break tomorrow.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any coarse thin woven cloth will do. If you can see through it, it'll probably be OK. Example: I used some thin dish towels from Target for pressing apple cider this fall.

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My local supermarket hasnt had cheesecloth for the whole time I have shopped there...and then yesterday..bingo! there it was with all the other thanksgiving stuff..:rolleyes: Oy! don't they realise that it has more uses all year round? Same thing when I wanted a turkey baster several months ago...not one to be found.