Cheese, Glorious Cheese!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
sylvie said:
big brown horse said:
:yuckyuck Reminds me: I can't remember if I read it here or on the internet. An ex wife put something stinky (can't remember what it was) in the hollow curtain rods before she moved out of the once shared house. New girlfriend moved in. The house began to smell to high heaven and they couln't find the source of the smell. Decided to finally sell the durn house. After trying to sell it (nobody would buy it b/c it stank) they agreed to sell it to the ex wife at a GREAT bargain.

She moved in and removed the curtain rods. :p
:lol:
Now that's some useful repurposing!
:yuckyuck :gig

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When my girlfriend got married (winter in Iowa) we got to "decorate" her brand new Dodge Duster that her rich daddy had just given to her. Some idiot (and no THIS time it wasn't me) decided to line the radiator, heater coils and inside heater vents with Limberger cheese.
Do you know they NEVER got that smell out of that car????? Never. We cut it down, used it for a demo car and then BURNED it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Never underestimate the power of Limberger :lol:
Did they have a nickname for the stinky car?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Never underestimate the power of Limberger :lol:
Did they have a nickname for the stinky car?
LOL! No, it was a rather sore topic all the way around. My friend was mad at her new husband's friends for doing the damage.....oh, did I mention they got her wedding dress and his tux in the spray too? Friend's dad was SUPER mad at new husband and his friends saying they didn't respect money. Later of course, it was wildly funny and we would laugh until we cried but by then the car had been burned and carted away.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here are a few good ones :D

Smoked Guda from Sam's
Dubliner from Costco

And last but not least...
Fried Cheese Curds from the Wisconsin Valley Fair :love

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am very fond of cheese; unfortunately DH can't stand it. Anything more aged than cream cheese is too much for him (the cream cheese means that cheese cake is OK however :rolleyes:). So, unless I'm willing to cook two different dishes I can't often cook with cheese. A couple of times a year I will get desperate, and make a macaroni and cheese for me, and a "macaroni and cheese without cheese" for him, and then I'm OK for awhile.
My grandmother cooked on a kerosene stove, and had some sort of odd oven attachment (I never saw it, and can't quite picture what my father described). Anyway it was too primitive to handle a souffle, which she was very fond of, so she made the following when she got a craving for cheese and eggs.

Cheesed Eggs

Make a cheese sauce using your favorite recipe - I use an aged cheddar.
Using either individual ramekins, or one large shallow dish, grease the dish(es), and pour in some of the cheese sauce. Break as many eggs into the dish(es) as desired, and spoon more sauce over. Bake in a pre-heated oven, at 350-375, until the eggs are set to your taste. For set whites, and runny yolks this would be about 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes I run it under the broil to brown the top a bit. Garnish with something green, parsley or chives.
My mother used some leftover cauliflower in this once, which was a hit.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
***buuurrrrrrrp!*** :lol: Just finished a very cheesy supper. Here is what we had....

Cream of Cheddar Veggie Soup

1 medium onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
Saute' in chicken fat, then add
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup puree'd pumpkin
1 cup + diced turnip
1 cup + diced carrots
1 cup + diced sweet potato
1 cup + cut up green beans
1 cup + cut up brocolli florets
1 cup + corn kernels
1 cup + peas
parsley, sea salt, black pepper

When veggies are tender, shake some cornstarch (2-3 Tbsp, depending on how much your soup has expanded by adding more veggies) into 2-3 cups cold whole milk, then add to pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add:

12-16 oz shredded sharp cheddar

Stir until melted. Serve in bowls to which you've added some previously cooked and crumbled sausage (right out of the freezer here, it cools the soup to eating temp quickly and thaws the sausage), optional. Or garnish each bowl with cooked, crispy, crumbled bacon.

I served this with traditional cornbread cooked in a hot skillet and slathered with butter.

*urp* 'scuse me! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is another one we had this week, mom made it when I wasn't home, but this is what I think she did (no recipe):

Pasta with cottage cheese

Saute' onions, garlic, and pepper strips in chicken fat. Add cottage cheese until it melts and is all creamy. Toss this with spiral pasta or some other shape that will hold the sauce well. Serve with a big green salad.

I'd made cottage cheese for the first time a few days prior to this, as I'd needed to use up about three gallons of goat's milk. I think she used a bit less than a pint of cheese, since I had it in a pint canning jar and a quart jar and now the pint jar is gone from the fridge! She would've used more cheese but didn't realize there was more than the pint jar.

With cheese, the more the merrier!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Free, ORChick those recipes sound amazing! YUM!! (And how can anyone NOT like cheese? Baffling!)

And farmerlor, OMG that was evil!!!!

And extremely funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Especially since it wasn't my car. :p Well, now we know how to "get back" at all the nasty folks we have in our lives. :p Don't make me mad!!

Oh, BTW, I'm making that cheese souffle (recipe on first page) as we speak. I'm just letting it cool down to room temp as I write this. I'll give you an update, but so far it is easy! Just have to whip up the egg whites, fold them and some cheese in gradually and pop it in the oven. It took me all of 10 minutes to prepare.

Latest posts