Cheese, Glorious Cheese!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Doesn't that sound wonderful?? I have the ingredients too, the gruyere is left over from my souffle last night. I just need to pick up some hazelnuts. :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YUM!!! I love grilled cheeses!!!!!!!

My favorite cold sammy is on dark rye, cheddar slices with "sandwhich spread".

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw someone on Food Network, think it was Bobby Flay, make a grilled cheese that I nearly wept over.
It had several different cheeses, don't remember what, but one of them was white cheddar. Then he put paper-thin slices of granny smith apple, and a few strips of bacon. Sourdough bread, slap the whole thing in a panini press.
:drool
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find some cheese.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I saw someone on Food Network, think it was Bobby Flay, make a grilled cheese that I nearly wept over.
It had several different cheeses, don't remember what, but one of them was white cheddar. Then he put paper-thin slices of granny smith apple, and a few strips of bacon. Sourdough bread, slap the whole thing in a panini press.
:drool
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find some cheese.
OMG!!!! That does sound good!!!! I'm off to look for the "mystery cheese" he used over on the food network site.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Made some of the easy stove top cheese, the non melting kind, and it is just yummy.

I split the curds and pressed one with lavender, thyme and black pepper, and the other one with pizza seasoning, dehydrated onion, and minced sun dried tomato. That last one is just so good I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to move up to melting cheese !!!

Anyway, YUM !!!

s400

As a mold and press I used a coffee filter holder and a sour cream carton with holes pierced in it, topped with a can of stew, and then weighted with cast iron.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Made some of the easy stove top cheese, the non melting kind, and it is just yummy.

I split the curds and pressed one with lavender, thyme and black pepper, and the other one with pizza seasoning, dehydrated onion, and minced sun dried tomato. That last one is just so good I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to move up to melting cheese !!!

Anyway, YUM !!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9TW6Z18tek0/S-NysFyWskI/AAAAAAAAAJc/kQJZKvWYvw0/s400/

As a mold and press I used a coffee filter holder and a sour cream carton with holes pierced in it, topped with a can of stew, and then weighted with cast iron.
You never cease to amaze me!! Do you mind sharing the recipe and "how to"? Is it easy?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ooh, have you made a cheese press? If you have, please tell us about it. I am planning on making cheddar just as soon as I figure out how to make a press.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OOOO Paneer. How fun! I just did one up tonight with basil , roasted red pepper and minced garlic. My base recipe is a gallon of whole milk, if you can get it raw.. its worth it to do so. Let it stand to room temp and then in a pot on the stove, low heat. Add about 1/2 cup lemon juice, you will do it in increments.. a splash, then stir, another splash stir again. You will know when you have enough by seeing the magic.. the milk will separate. You will see curds and whey. Once the whey is completely clear, I let it stand back to room temp in the whey. Then strain. I like my flour sack cloth for this and then start pressing out the moisture. I really dig the lard press for this, but a make shift version can be made with any form and weight. Oh, and add any seasonings , fruits , veggies , meat, what ever you want when you start press out the moisture. I do add a fair amount of sea salt to even the plain paneer I make.

If you are going to get into real cheese, the white cheeses tend to be the quicker and easier. I got my base recipe off You tube :)