Chernobyl - getting perspective on the damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really had not paid much attention at all to chernobyl. Of course I knew it was a painful deal but I never read much on it or saw many reports.

Then I came across this today... if kind of blew my mind how many people were affected..
Some are saying that the meltdowns in Japan may turn out much more extensive than Chernobly. This is a very powerful photo essay. Be ready to view the worst and to understand how severe it is and will continue to be.

Come to find out that radiaiton is most dangerous for people under 30.

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/chernobyl#

this following link is a photo and journal essay done by someone who goes to the chernobyl site every year,,, which includes 2000 shut down cities towns and villages...

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/cherlinks.html

some people are saying that we are being lied to about Japan, and it will be 400 times worse than chernobyl.

Today I found out that one of the reactors that blew had 2000 spent rods stored inside the outer walls of the reactor, the area that blew... those spent rods are seriously dangerous and they all blew up and burned.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For further detailed info on what really happened at Chernobyl

This 18 page article is a further eye opener. Click on the Chernobyl button in the left hand column to find it.

http://www.llrc.org/index.html

Well, now, some might say what does this have to do with Japan?

I am tell you that they all lie.. including the nuclear industry in Japan and the US.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Thank you for the perspective? Very, very scary. I think I'll go throw up now.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
We're all mushrooms as far as the media and the government are concerned.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well, I have written and rewritten this post about fifteen times in an attempt to make it as polite as possible, but I just finally have to say this here:

It would be good to apply the same standards of proof/skepticism/evidence to things that your gut leans *towards* as you do to the things that your gut leans *away from*.

Just because something you read somewhere is what you wanted to hear or agrees with other things you think, does NOT mean you should accept it as factual and correct without applying appropriate doublechecking (both reference-material-wise and critical-thinking-and-logic-wise). Likewise just because something you read would seem to go against your beliefs or preconceptions does NOT mean you should dismiss it as wrong/lie/coverup without applying the same measures.

If basically everything you don't want to believe can be dismissed as "well obviously it's all a coverup" and everything you DO want to believe is embraced without critical thought, then what the heck does evidence or reality have to do with ANYTHING? There is no point in citing numbers or websites or expert opinions or conspiracy analyses or anything else, just think whatcha wanna think and ignore the rest.

If you DO care about "facts" or evidence or consensus reality based phenomena, though, then it gots to go BOTH WAYS.

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm just gonna clutch my iodine in denial thank you folks very much :lol:

P.S. They upgraded the nuclear disaster status to level 5 now. :hu

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Well, I have written and rewritten this post about fifteen times in an attempt to make it as polite as possible, but I just finally have to say this here:

It would be good to apply the same standards of proof/skepticism/evidence to things that your gut leans *towards* as you do to the things that your gut leans *away from*.

Just because something you read somewhere is what you wanted to hear or agrees with other things you think, does NOT mean you should accept it as factual and correct without applying appropriate doublechecking (both reference-material-wise and critical-thinking-and-logic-wise). Likewise just because something you read would seem to go against your beliefs or preconceptions does NOT mean you should dismiss it as wrong/lie/coverup without applying the same measures.

If basically everything you don't want to believe can be dismissed as "well obviously it's all a coverup" and everything you DO want to believe is embraced without critical thought, then what the heck does evidence or reality have to do with ANYTHING? There is no point in citing numbers or websites or expert opinions or conspiracy analyses or anything else, just think whatcha wanna think and ignore the rest.

If you DO care about "facts" or evidence or consensus reality based phenomena, though, then it gots to go BOTH WAYS.

Pat
:thumbsup What she said!! Great post Pat. Thanks for that. This post should be available for a lot of the things that get published here becaue it would temper the approach of the author a bit.
Way to go!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Patandchickens,, and all else so inclined...
you can think what you want... and I will post what I want.

Let the chips fall where they may

Status
Not open for further replies.