Chernobyl - getting perspective on the damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would personally take anything that Elena Filatova writes with several grains of salt, not because her story and images aren't true for the most part, but because some of it is NOT true.

Her first trip to the dead zone was taken as part of a "Chernobyl tourism" bus tour, not by motorbike.

And that site has changed quite a bit since I first saw it in 2004 and then again in 2005--she has re-written parts of it, and also includes photos that were not taken by her/are not verifiable because the original source is not known (despite the fact that some of the photos ARE credited to others--probably people who have complained over the years about how she uses their images).

Chernobyl was a horrible disaster and continues to affect the people, land, and other organisms left to deal with the aftermath. But truth is difficult to find due to the bias of the source info and the fact that the USSR was such a secretive society.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and thanks Pat for your very level-headed post.

I heard a comment the other day about a story someone had read on an online news service, and the person speaking followed up with, "I'm so glad we have the internet now so that we can all find out the real truth about news stories".

It appalled me, because further conversation on the subject told me that this person truly believed that news from a particular internet source was untainted by bias of any sort, as opposed to the tv news media.

In the search for information, and dare I say it "truth", we each need to be vigilant in ensuring that we have looked at a thing from all sides, poked and prodded it well, and dissected it as much as possible before we name it "truth".

;) However, if we're happy to work only with opinions based on anything from gut-reaction to extensive info-ferreting, then game on!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've gotten so skeptical, that I don't believe anybody or anything except for those closest to me. There seems to be an agenda for everything. Whenever I don't follow my gut instinct I regret it.

BTW. The FDA is putting out warnings to people loading up on Iodine and the side effects it causes. I guess the whole thing is out of control and serious gouging and misrepresentation everywhere. Who would have ever expected that?;)

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, i agree. It IS scary indeed... :/

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
I've gotten so skeptical, that I don't believe anybody or anything except for those closest to me. There seems to be an agenda for everything. Whenever I don't follow my gut instinct I regret it.

BTW. The FDA is putting out warnings to people loading up on Iodine and the side effects it causes. I guess the whole thing is out of control and serious gouging and misrepresentation everywhere. Who would have ever expected that?;)
Dude, there always have been agendas, why it this point in time any more special?.... :/

With freedom of the press in this great land, there comes great responsibility for its citizens to be informed and understand what's going on. The great thing about the internet is the re-birth of the "town square" where folks can mingle, exchange ideas, and better understand their world.

I think I know where you're hinting with the "gouging" comment, but it was the Surgeon General's *public* comments that sparked the run on iodine, not any nefarious corporation working with mass media to terrify the sheeple. :/

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Dunkopf said:

Dude, there always have been agendas, why it this point in time any more special?.... :/

With freedom of the press in this great land, there comes great responsibility for its citizens to be informed and understand what's going on. The great thing about the internet is the re-birth of the "town square" where folks can mingle, exchange ideas, and better understand their world.

I think I know where you're hinting with the "gouging" comment, but it was the Surgeon General's *public* comments that sparked the run on iodine, not any nefarious corporation working with mass media to terrify the sheeple. :/
Of course there have always been agendas. The media has always been agendas. The media has always been used for that purpose. I didn't say anything about at this point in time.

I wasn't hinting at anything with my comment about iodine. Just something I heard on the national news.

I just don't trust any news outlet. I trust some more than others. I have heard things on all outlets about past happenings that are just flat out false. Some outlets do it a lot more than others, but I've heard it on all of them. I have read web sites that were referred on this forum that are obvious BS. Designed strictly to support lies to people that want to believe them and can't find them elsewhere. So they supply those lies and sell some adds while their at it. That's what the internet is all about. Selling stuff. One of the good parts is that you get to talk to interesting people you would have never known in your entire life. It is a good source of info too. Not saying the info is factual, but if you want to here all the bad things about someone. Just go to the internet and find a website custom made to fit your beliefs. So the internet has a lot of people living in lala land too.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How many Chernobyl/nuclear threads do we have going on this board? I am getting confused. Won't one suffice?

Status
Not open for further replies.