Chest and Upright Freezers may be scarce next year

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went freezer shopping last night from a local retailer, and was told that ONLY Frigidaire is making chest and upright freezers. Everyone else will be putting their label on them, but buying from Frigidaire. They told me that the last OTHER manufacturer went into bancruptcy 1 1/2 weeks ago. NOT trying to start any rumors but, if you're in the market for one, you might want to buy it soon.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I bartered for mine

It's older, but it works!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Got my upright free. It's 20+ years old as far as I know, but works great!!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
got mine when we bought the house. they left it here, practally brand new. Big ol' upright that still had the energy eff. sticker

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got a free chest freezer (from my DH's grandfather's house) in 1983 and a free upright freezer (from my MIL's house) in 1998, too. But the chest freezer, circa 1972, died 2 years ago, and the upright one, circa 1978, though still working fine, might decide to do the same. So, I'm buying a new one this week to replace the cheap fridge that is in my basement and slowly d y i n g.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I had to buy a new freezer in Aug. I was looking for scratch and dent, so I called around to all the appliance places near me to see if they had any. Only one place had a S&D, and all theother places didn't even have any freezers in stock-they would have had to order one in for me.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I have a small chest freezer that I absolutely love. All my appliances have to be tiny to fit through my tiny, old doors. I would love to have another freezer, but I don't have space. I'll bet there will still be freezers floating around on craigslist that are from different manufacturers though.

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
I don't know if it's true or not but I had a guy from Lowes tell me years ago that was standard practice. A Kenmore or GE or any other brand had all the same parts inside just a different shell and name tag.

Steve in NC

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. We have a huge upright (size of the large fridge), three freezers from three fridges, and then I have the ancient upright that is about 4x3x3 inside. So, yeah, I'm going to say that we probably have enough freezer space.

Reaction score
Watch out for the old ones. They cost a heck of a lot more to run. I still see freezers at Sams. I wonder what the problem is. Like Sand says. Most everything is made by the same company. I've had a few different appliance repair guys tell me that.

Remember all restaurants are Taco Bell. Line from Demolition Man.

Latest posts