Chest and Upright Freezers may be scarce next year

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay--Bought my new freezer to be delivered on Monday. The salesman confirmed that Frigidaire is now the ONLY manufacturer of freezers, the upright and chest models. He said that the only other manufacturer went bankrupt and liquidated merchandise 2 weeks ago. ALL of the other brands of freezers can only buy from Frigidaire, now, but that's because they stopped manufacturing their own years ago. He suspects that the other will probably start producing again BUT, freezers sell fast and there's gonna be maybe 6 months of shortage. That translates to this: you may have to order and wait about a month to get one until the middle-end of 2010.
(I'm copying and pasting this to TEG and BYC, too.)

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:woot Got my new freezer delivered yesterday!!!! The delivery man and I took off the mud-room door and the door to the freezer to squeeze in my new, 16.7 cubic foot, 65 1/2 in. x 32 in., frost-free, energy efficient upright. (Plan B was to put it in the garage next to the other older upright, so I WAS gonna have this freezer yesterday, regardless!!!) He took the broken fridge away...hurray...hurray!!!! I spent 6 hours in the basement sweeping, cleaning and throwing away--time WELL SPENT. Gee, another few weeks of this and I'll have a clean basement! :/
(also posted on TEG)