Chicken conundrum

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
So, last summer I bought 10 RIR chicks.
As time passed, we were pretty certain that we had an even split, according to behaviors we saw, and the way out big roosters would spend time staring down 5 inch high chicks.
And all the chest bumping that went on amongst some of them.

They are now 7 months old, and narry a one of them looks like a boy. At all.
No big wattles or combs. No saddles.
Tails all have that nice V that hens have. One or two might have a curl starting, but its hard to say for sure.
They are hatchery quality, though several of them are excellent in coloring and shape.
And I don't think we are getting 10 RIR eggs, but I am going to really take a close look over the next day or two at the eggs to be sure.

:th
If I have all hens that is great except for on thing.
I NEED a rooster!

Oh, and I do not have any pics of them at present.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
At 7 months old there is NO crowing?!?! Uh.....that's just weird to get all girls and highly unlikey. Where did you get them? Boy somebody is probably mad if you got them from a mixed bin, cause they must have got all the roosters :lol:

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, but RIRs are one of the easiest birds in the world to sex just by combs, size and wattles. If you're not seeing any marked differences by seven months you got no boys. Take a look on Craigslist there's ALWAYS someone getting rid of roos.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
At 7 months old there is NO crowing?!?! Uh.....that's just weird to get all girls and highly unlikey. Where did you get them? Boy somebody is probably mad if you got them from a mixed bin, cause they must have got all the roosters :lol:
Your right! No Crowing!
And yes, out of the mixed bin at our hatchery!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Sorry, but RIRs are one of the easiest birds in the world to sex just by combs, size and wattles. If you're not seeing any marked differences by seven months you got no boys. Take a look on Craigslist there's ALWAYS someone getting rid of roos.
Thats what I figured!
But I am puzzled by the baby and teenage behaviors we saw...

We will find a CL one, but I sure did not expect to do that :lol:

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, it's not that uncommon to have some hens act all aggressive and dominant like a roo. We had a tiny little Hamburg who never did give us a fertile egg because she figured she was more suited to be the boss than the roo we had her living with.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You should have bought a lottery ticket the day you bought those chickens! :gig

Of all the problems to have :D

Happy roo shopping. Find your girls a nice, polite, handsome gentleman.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wannabefree said:
Your right! No Crowing!
And yes, out of the mixed bin at our hatchery!
You made someone really really mad :gig they got your roos! Whoda thunk it 10 girls in the mixed bin :th

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
YOung pullets chest-bump and play fight the same as cockerels, maybe not *as* much but they certainly do it plenty IME.

I agree, by 7 months if you had a roo you'd know it.

You got lucky. Remember this next time you get a batch of 10 and all are *boys* :p

Pat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
YOung pullets chest-bump and play fight the same as cockerels, maybe not *as* much but they certainly do it plenty IME.

I agree, by 7 months if you had a roo you'd know it.

You got lucky. Remember this next time you get a batch of 10 and all are *boys* :p

Pat
Our goal is not have to buy in, except for needing new blood :lol:
So far, all babies we hatched have been about 60-40 roos to hens.

You know what though.....I know roos develop later. No tails while the hens have them already...is this always true, or are there exceptions to the rule?
Cause I am remembering that is the other way I had decided we had a 50/50 split.
:idunno