Chicken conundrum

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they mixed up the straight run and the sexed pullets and you got the pullets.

Somebody ELSE is probably mighty unhappy, but that is not your problem. ;)

I bought six sexed RIR pullets and they were indeed all female. I think by this time you would know. I had a 1/2 RIR cockerel we just sent to freezer camp because by that age he was mating with the hens. He never crowed much but he was male!

Lucky you!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
patandchickens said:
YOung pullets chest-bump and play fight the same as cockerels, maybe not *as* much but they certainly do it plenty IME.

I agree, by 7 months if you had a roo you'd know it.

You got lucky. Remember this next time you get a batch of 10 and all are *boys* :p

Pat
Our goal is not have to buy in, except for needing new blood :lol:
So far, all babies we hatched have been about 60-40 roos to hens.

You know what though.....I know roos develop later. No tails while the hens have them already...is this always true, or are there exceptions to the rule?
Cause I am remembering that is the other way I had decided we had a 50/50 split.
:idunno
None of the "tricks" are ALWAYS true. I just raised a young roo that I went back and forth with the gender decision forever because his tail looked like a hens. He has the pointy hackle feathers though, large wattles, and he crows...tail...STILL not developed much. He's a rooster with a hens hiney :lol: You can never be sure with chicks, even older ones sometimes it takes as long as until they crow or lay. Some just hold out on ya and then suprise you.

Latest posts