Chicken question

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on the chicken tractor. We also have two smaller models that we have built. Our two Barred Rocks stay in one of the smaller ones. Those two are basically like pets and are practically joined at the hip. When one sits in the egg box to lay an egg, the other one sits with her. We named them Thelma and Louise.
:gig

Just an update on my chicken with a bald spot on her back: the feathers appear to be growing back. We have been letting them out more to free range for a longer period of time or twice a day. So I am thinking this was a pecking problem. Thanks for all the great advice.
:thumbsup

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought my problem was solved, but now I am noticing more feathers missing from the same hen. In fact, her feathers are looking really shabby again. This time on the wings and some other places. There are areas on both of the wings that look almost symmetrical where I am wondering if she could be reaching back there and pulling out the feathers herself? But why? If it is a mite or lice infestation, it seems like there would be signs on the other chickens as well?

My husband was looking in the Carla Emory book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living, about how to cull a chicken so he is getting frustrated. We would probably be better off with one less chicken, but I hate to give up so easily without know what the problem really is.
:hit

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wait now, could she be molting? (Did I spell that right?)

In TX I never had a chicken molt, but I think it had to do with the climate...not even when I was growing up with them. But, I've heard stories. It is the symetrical feather loss that clued me in.

(I'm a terrible speller and not that great on the keybord either.)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
you can see if it is a bug infestation. Pick her up when she is roosting and look at her skin. Mites and lice are teeny tiny critters that are hard to spot, some of them are flesh colored, but you can spot them.
It may well be as bbh said, she is starting her molt early.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I thought of one more tip. At night when you pick her up to check for mites, take some scotch tape and press it on her skin and pull it off. Then inspect it under a strong light for mites.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She is almost 15 months. I don't have any experience with a chicken molting yet so it is hard for me to tell, but I was under the impression that they molted at a later time. I hate to think my husband culled a chicken just for molting.
:ep