Chicken question

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hiedi, I went back and looked at the picture you posted. I think they look like blood feathers. Some birds will pick at them for the additional blood protein, and a hen may be picking at herself.

Blood feathers, also called pin feathers, are new feathers that are starting to grow. Since they are actively growing, they need a large blood supply and will bleed if broken. Which is how they came to be called blood feathers.

Each blood feather grows from a follicle. The feather has an artery and vein that extend up into it from the follicle and nourish the feather. Due to the color of the blood supply, the shaft of a blood feather will appear dark, whereas the shaft of an older feather will be white.

A blood feather has a larger quill than a mature feather. A blood feather starts out with a waxy keratin sheath that protects it while it grows. When the feather is mature, the blood supply will recede and the waxy sheath will be removed by the bird.

Blood feathers appear during the molting process as old feathers are lost and replaced by new ones.

So I think you need to check the protein level of the laying feed you are using. Everything a bird eats affects the protein level of the feed. So if the feed is 16% or 14% or lower, this particular hen may be suffering from low protein levels. She sees her blood feathers as a ready source of protein.

Feather eating could also be a sign of a nutritional deficiency of methionine, which can be provided by feeding sunflower seeds. It is recommended that no more than 1/3 of a chicken's diet should come from sunflower seeds, because they can be high in fat. (Personally, we feed our flock 20% Purina FlockRaiser mixed 1/3 feed, 1/3 oats and 1/3 black oil sunflower seeds.)

Molting also causes feather loss, some birds drop and replace their feathers quickly, while others do it slowly. A feather is 85% protein. Increasing dietary protein helps stop pecking and helps regrowth of feathers. Lack of protein and amino acids will cause feathers to dry, break or curl up. Yogurt, buttermilk, whole milk or fish oil are good sources.

So I think wifezilla was right to question the protein she is getting. Personally, I'd up the protein rather than the drastic move of cull.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mine always start in the end of July, first of August time frame....and they molt and molt and molt until after December! :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ALL of my stupid birds are molting :rant :somad
The geese are the WORST!!

Bee, you said you wanted Embdens??? I want mine GONE!! :smack

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried the scotch tape method to see if I see any bugs, but I didn't see anything. She was squirming a lot so I need to try that again. I noticed that her crop didn't have much in it and was mushy. I felt the other chickens crops to get a comparison, and their crops were full. I will definitely try giving supplemental protein in the diet and watch her more closely to see how much she is eating.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You may also want to put some ACV (I do about 1 tsp per gallon) in their water and give them some yogurt to help with digestion.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been watching this chicken a lot closer with the feathers coming out for the past two days. She eats and drinks water, but she does not have the same appetite as the other chickens, although she is not in any distress. I tried giving her scrambled egg for protein, but she wouldn't touch that; my other chickens loved it. I bought a small bag of feed with a higher protein content and have been mixing yogurt with that. She eats a little bit, but not too interested. My other chickens love that as well. This particular chicken seems to enjoy foraging the most. She is an odd chicken for sure; my husband has always called her "brain dead" because she has a difficult time finding the door to get back into the coop (not the smartest chicken of the flock). Unfortunately, I just noticed that she had a small amount of blood in her poop so I am thinking this is more than just a molting problem, something beyond my beginner knowledge. I told my husband to go ahead and cull her, but it will probably take some time for him to get his nerve up. Neither one of us are too keen on the idea, but I don't see any other alternative. She is not laying any eggs. In fact, I don't think she has laid an egg in quite some time. I always knew it would come down to this one day when raising chickens.
:(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hiedi, I am sorry about your hen. I know that this must be a difficult decision for you.
:hugs