Chicken Questions

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have 30 hens and a rooster. They get 6 lbs of feed, food scraps, free range, and scratch. Plenty of food, and they are none in the molt. Its a variety of breeds Australorps, Dominiques, and Orpingtons.

I get 7 to 10 eggs a day, :( Its been this way all fall. And I even kept them in all day today....

Im considering a massive cull in March if this dont pick up. And replacing them with some breeds Beekissed recomended, which are New Hampshire Reds, and White Rocks.

But anyway since replacing the rooster with a BO roo, they dont seem nearly as active. I feed the same amount of layer feed as I have when we had 25 ducks, 20 hens, 26 pullets. And these act starved to death. But there is not no way. I think actually my Buff Rooster isnt very active in the ranging department, what rooster breed would you suggest a NHR or WR?

But Im not very satisfied with these Buff Orpingtons, there laying is almost non existant, not broody, or very thrifty. Im thinking a change is in the air.

Whats the deal with no eggs?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How old are they? If you got them already laying, they may be slowing down due to age. (unless you know for sure how old they are, and they are still below three years) If they are young (first winter) they shouldn't slow down terribly in the winter, I have been told. Mine have dropped off about 30%. I don't think my one white rock is laying at all right now. Best producer is my Easter Egger! The production reds are doing well, also.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
I feel your pain and frustration. I have heritage Rhode Island reds and they quit laying about 4 months ago for no apparent reason. This site may be of use to you.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Good luck.
Nancy
Thanks Nancy! Im not gonna tolerate it much longer....at least we still get eggs but they should do better than that.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Are you supplementing a light source? Remember, they need 12-14 hours of daylight to stay "on track". It seems like feeding that many all winter seems a waste for so low a production, in my humble opinion.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
so lucky said:
How old are they? If you got them already laying, they may be slowing down due to age. (unless you know for sure how old they are, and they are still below three years) If they are young (first winter) they shouldn't slow down terribly in the winter, I have been told. Mine have dropped off about 30%. I don't think my one white rock is laying at all right now. Best producer is my Easter Egger! The production reds are doing well, also.
16 are young like just starting to lay, and then the rest are 1 1/2 and layed all last winter.....But its not just winter it was this fall too.

FJ, I dont do light. It is a waste, but I need them for spring.....

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the leghorn breeds are suposed to be good forragers/layers, and obvisouly any of the "rpoductions" breeds (new hampshires, rhode island, black and red stars ect)
ive always likes my mums sussex laying power, though even she has quit for the winter on them lol. (its their second winter)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Got rats? They'll steal/eat your eggs, especially going into fall and winter.
Mice, but not rats. Never seen a rat down there. They are going to be locked in all day tomorrow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BB, a couple of years ago when we had that severe drought, all my chickens did this very same thing. They just seemed to come halt when it came to laying. I'd never had that experience with one of my flocks, especially with this flock. I was very puzzled...particularly when I found so many other people having the exact same thing happening.

They finally resumed their good egg production after that winter and were still laying like gangbusters this summer, from all accounts, but that one season......nothing but a few lonely eggs, 28 hens, 1 roo.