Chicken Soup - It's Time

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just think of all that pure food you guys are growing and eating. It's a luxury nowadays to have pure food that isn't tainted with this or that preservative, unpronouncable chemical, or commercially raised animal meat.

Whenever I open a jar of meat raised here I always think of how privileged I am to have food that hasn't passed through the USDA's idea of what is nutritious and good for you. Pure meat that has been eating pure food found on the land that it untainted with herbicides, pesticides or any other "cide".

It's a good feeling. You can bask in that as you babysit your canner and remember you are eating like royalty compared to other folks out there. :thumbsup

Thanks for mentioning that and you are so right! I was just sitting here thinking about that very thing.

Everything that went into this soup besides sea salt, black pepper and celery seeds was grown or raised by us. No "cides", "mones" or "biotics" were ever used. It's a real good feeling to know we'll be eating pure and healthy food that was raised and grown by us. We know what went in or didn't go in to it and that the most important part for us anyways.

It's like the beet juice my wife canned earlier this year. When I need a pick-me-up I pour a little in my lemonaid. It gives me a shot of long lasting energy. The sugar baby melons we grew has the same effect. You should see how the grand daughters bounce off the walls after eating some sugar baby watermelon. It's pretty amazing the amount of happy energy you can get out of some of the pure vegetables and I can rest assured that no nasty chemicals were used growing it. I should know... It grew it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First 20 pints are out of the pressure canner, pop, pop, pop pop - all jars have now sealed. I'm pretty happy with myself so far, but you know I have a really really good teacher :) I hope the next 10 pints currently in the pressure canner also turn out as good.

IMG_20170903_234019485.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that looks REALLY good!

I use the big crockpot for cooking down the carcass, but it's pretty much the same thing. Chicken isn't really my favorite meat and I don't raise meat birds. I do process extra silkie boys, and soup fixings is the best use for them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
All you need now is some fresh home baked bread or rolls to go with that soup :) Well done you, it looks fantastic!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So much can be done with chicken broth. I'm boiling a rabbit carcass to make some dumplings for supper tonight. Everyone is enjoying the smells.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well there you have 30 meals ready for enjoying :thumbsup I'll bet that feels amazing! And it looks so yum too.

Peckadoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh, that Turkey Soup looks sooo good...seems like it even smells good from here. We like Taco Soup made with good broth. Along with diced tomatoes, just add 5 C's: cabbage, carrots, corn, and coriander and cumin to taste. Top with Taco Chips. I also put pasta in ours, so am able to use a small amount of chips on top. We are having Taco Soup tonight.