chicken tractor.....Clampett style LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, maybe this is why my husband accuses me of "Clampetting up the yard" :lol:

100_3627.jpg

I got 6 chicks from TSC. They have outgrown their little coop and are ready to go on some grass but aren't big enough yet to run in the chicken lot with the others (hawks). So I looked around and took what I had and made a chicken tractor. 2 sawhorses side by side, roll of hardwire cloth around it ziptied together, and a leftover piece of lattice laid across the top to keep the chickens in and the hawks out. Nothing is attached permanently so it can be put away once they get big enough to go in with the rest of the flock. :D

Here are the chicks
100_3603.jpg

And while I'm at it, tell me what you think. I was supposed to have 2 black australorps in the bunch but one is looking a little like something different. It has black feather with white lacing all over its chest and top of its legs. Here's a close up.....what do you think?
100_3620.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, and no, I don't leave them in there during the night, they go back in the little coop and get locked up tight for the night. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Cute! That would not stop even a small dog from killing the chicks, though, so use caution if you have dogs or racoons or skunks, etc, that have access to your yard.

Them are happy chickies!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey, what works, works. And as you said, you can take it apart when it isn't needed. Cute little buggers.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's not clampetting up the yard that's being creative and it's free!! Too cool.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh yes, we have a fenced in chicken yard and this is inside the fence with the rest of the chickens and ducks so they can get acquainted without tearing each other apart.....you know how that whole pecking order thing works itself out. I don't want any major squabbles until they get bigger and can handle themselves.

Any guesses on the black/white supposed to be an australorp chicken?

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First thought that comes to mind is Lace Wyandottes.

Go over to BYC and ask!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it is a Silverlaced Wyandotte. What kind of comb does it have?

Very inventive! I once put some lattice like that on top of my pen. Just layed it there.
This year my dh "fixed" my pen with a nice roof!

I do the same thing when I have young ones.
Usually I use a large wire dog crate or 2 taking out the tray on the bottom.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I would love some wyandottes....BLRW actually but for now I'll take what I can get. It looks like a rose comb for now.