Chickens and Sunflower seeds?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I know that I saw someone giving sunflower seeds to their chickens (a few of you actually) but then I also recall Free saying that it was unconventional to give whole grains to chickens.

My girlfriend gave me a nice big sunflower head, which has been in my courtyard drying for a week....mainly because I am afraid to give it to my girls!

Can I just give them a handful of seeds or is there some process to help them better digest the seeds?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You can just thorw them out there, or you could leave the head out for them to pick at. What kind are they? If they are the regular eating kind, you can salt ans season them yourself.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'd be saving them for myself! Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add dill weed, seeds and let soak overnight. then roast them in the oven. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I googled it. they were yummy!!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
I know that I saw someone giving sunflower seeds to their chickens (a few of you actually) but then I also recall Free saying that it was unconventional to give whole grains to chickens.

My girlfriend gave me a nice big sunflower head, which has been in my courtyard drying for a week....mainly because I am afraid to give it to my girls!

Can I just give them a handful of seeds or is there some process to help them better digest the seeds?
Free says whole grains are the ONLY things she gives to her chickens! :lol: Yes, unconventional, but not much that I do is conventional. I try to be more TRADITIONAL! :D

I would put the whole head in their pen just for the sheer entertainment value. I would keep an eye on it, though, and take it out if they don't finish it off. I wouldn't really want the local squirrels to bury it seed by seed!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I give BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) freely to my chooks. It is their very most favorite treat! I also add it to the calf's sweet feed and the lambs stick their noses in the pan and hoover that stuff up, now!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Bee....see I knew that all of your great minds could advise me :)

How is your ol' Bat doing?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
She is great, Dace! :D She is visiting right now and had brought a truckload of her stuff up to my house. My older sis is here also...they are taking naps! :lol:

I made them some homemade chicken soup(had rice and kielbasa in it too), blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream to celebrate the Bat's 75th birthday! :celebrate Her first birthday of peace and freedom from tyranny. I know I shouldn't look on it like that, but you should see how the stress has moved out of her face. It's like a miracle..... :love

She has amazed me at every turn! She is organizing and keeping busy, selling all her possessions, selling the farm, you name it, it's going, going, gone! She is very eager to start a new kind of life. Most folks her age, living like she has, would not do well adjusting to a change of this magnitude but the Ol' Bat is a trooper! Love that Bat! :love

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is wonderful Bee...you are a good daughter!

It is so good to hear that she is embracing her new life...I hope she continues on this positive path :)

Happy Birthday to your special Bat :love