Chickens on the homestead

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was gifted a set of 8 of the metal nest boxes when my son bought his new place.... they use 4 of them...maybe. Of course they also use the big sink in the barn....just hunker right down in there and think they're doing good, and up inside a bunch of nested tomato cages, and behind the round bale that I just put under the shed (right next to the metal nest boxes)...they definitely take their "free range" status very seriously!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I keep 3 for a flock of 12-15 and usually one nest is never used...it varies as to which nest is not being used, but rarely are there eggs in each nest each day.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The 2 top metal nest boxes are the favorites here. I've seen more dominant hens pull others out of the nest box because they wanted that one

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now I have 2 nesting boxes for 13 hens. But they're just starting to lay, and winter's coming. I have a third but it needs a better clean out; not sure what insect made this dense nest (spiders?) in it, but I've blocked it off for now and will give it a better clean if it seems they need the additional nest.
I had 4 leghorns last winter and they were in a coop with 6 nesting boxes...they only ever used one of course.

So we butchered 13 roos this summer. I think the experience was pretty good, and the process went fairly well. My partner ended up doing most of the work but I helped out when possible. I had read so much beforehand that I was quite mentally prepared. But for whatever reason I got a little weepy before the start of our last set of birds.

I will say this: I'm actually very proud to have our own birds at the table. It makes me feel a different level of self sufficiency and balance within our homestead.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen...that's exactly what it feels like. Like completion of a circle. Just feels right.

That dense spider nest is usually funnel spiders, which show up at my coop near the end of summer and into the fall. Make huge(for a spider)dense funnel shaped nests....good for catching all the other nasties in the coop, so I let them stick around as long as they aren't in my way.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mmm, could be, it was so hard, thick, and stuck to the nesting box I couldn't remove it; at least not fully. And as far as I can tell it's an old and unused web. The barn coop came with the property and obviously hadn't been used for a long time.