Chickens on the homestead

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning, out feeding, one of my broodies came shrieking like a banshee and "low flying" to the feed frenzy this AM. I had not already put eggs under her, SO -- I grabbed a scoop of eggs from last night that I had not taken to the house, RAN to her hutch, grabbed her 2 eggs & the nest egg, replaced with 7 eggs! Then I considered they were chilly to sit on and maybe she would reject them -- oh well, I had to go to work. She was sitting them when I returned!! Whatever they are is fine. LOL Great mom, as she gave me 7 trained chicks last year -- five are now laying nice eggs. Sometimes we accept the challenge and go from there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
great find I can see how that would be prefect for a nesting boxes.. and after reading your post I have added a straight run of 15 White Rocks to my order to mix in to my planned Self supply meat bird line that I am trying to create.

Great choice! You really can't go wrong with them and you'll see why when you get to experience the density and fineness of the meat fibers, as well as the fat marbled throughout the meat also. They are a calm bird to have around too. Can't say enough good about the WR breed.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I showed your pictures to my husband tonight and told him we should get a few... We have 2 barred rocks, and a partridge rock, but no WR...yet... :)