Chickens on the homestead

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi wait, did you say RIR are sweet? I've never met one that wasn't mean! They're such good egg layers but I've stayed away because of their unpleasant personalities. Must be different strains!

11075253_1563578563902248_3999313728391573803_n.jpg

This was the sweetest pullet in the flock. Total lap chicken. Mine were all lovely, even the rooster.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, did you make that quilt???? :th It's gorgeous!!!! :love I think it's so funny that the chicken comes in your window and sleeps on the bed. :lol: That's just the sweetest thing.

I did yes, thank you. I posted some pics of it on the quilting thread, about 2 weeks ago I think. That hen would live in the house if I let her! She is such a madam. I walked into the lounge a few weeks ago and found her laying an egg on the couch. No nest boxes for HER!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: What a hoot!!! I hope she gets to live a long time with y'all....that's a chicken with a great story. :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my husband was a kid his mom rescued a chicken nearly frozen in a snowbank. She became a house chicken. She went to the bathroom in her little "coop" and laid eggs there as well. She never made a mess of the house. They think she knew to be clean because she was rescued from certain death and was grateful for it.

Cynthiadoz12

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The sweetest rooster I was able to keep for a while, was a RIR. That boy was only 4 and a half months old here. Loved him, but he crowed too much for my area. :(
069.JPG

Another sweet RIR. Didn't mind me coming into the coop while laying. :)
Both of these were Heritage..I hatched them, they were not from a feed store. Maybe that made a difference. Having said that, I have RIR pullet out there right now that I bought from a feed store this yr. She should start laying next month..soon! She is being a sweet girl too, but, I have had some stinkers that I've bought from the feed stores. I'm hoping I lucked out this time. So far so good.
010.JPG

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wasn't around when the first BO and RIR were gotten but last year when the younger BO's and RIR were gotten we waited until their were around 3-4 months old before letting them out of the brooder box. We had one ( yup, that's right had) that when she (a BO) wanted to get picked up she would squat in front of you then she would either "ride" around sitting on an arm or on one of my Uncle's shoulders. Just before Winter she went to the chicken coop in the sky from being attacked by a chicken hawk.
When we first discovered that Buffy liked to be held, it was funny seeing how my Uncle was laying on the ground working on a vehicle and she would go over to him, pull on his hair so he would have to stop to shoot her away but within a few minutes she would go back to demanding his attention. Well, he stopped once again, picked her up and brought her into the house which was the wrong thing to do seeing how after that she always wanted to come in. It was hilarious to see this chicken acting like that. I miss her and wish at times she was still here. Whenever I go outside during the day which is quite often all the chickens come running to me including MR.Rooster (the RIR) begging for a handout. I've even caught a couple of them "knocking" using their beaks and pecking at the door on the front porch.
I do have a stupid hen though she'll get on the front porch (haven't figured out how yet) and will throw a major hissy fit because she can't get off the porch until I let her off then when she is back outside she'll she'll complain.

Cynthiadoz12

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh man, it's hard when we lose one of our furry friends. :hugs

They can be so friendly, some, just don't want to be bothered with. I don't have too many like that. If any, it's usually the EE's, until they start laying, then become a completely different bird..very friendly.

Yes, I have them come up to my back door, peck, scratch, stare into the door window. So funny..I love it. They hang with my dog too.

004-6.jpg
001.JPG

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol I feel like a bad chicken keeper because I'm really not friends with my chickens!