Chickens on the homestead

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As they say, your mileage may vary and I hope it does! If I didn't live in such a close neighborhood I would absolutely keep Icelandic. I really liked them. They really know how to feed themselves and they are good mothers.
That is good to know. All my chicks are flighty right now. Very much not ok with humans. I'm trying all the tricks. They get better but then revert. But i will make them friendly lol.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They're good birds....never make trouble. Sometimes they get beat up a little bit because their 'face fluff' kind of blocks their vision and they can't defend themselves against something they can't see! But, they're eye candy and I like 'em!
I got a faverolle this year! I want to order another pullet and a roo.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I get to chickensit for our local travellers (who are really nice) now and then. They dropped off some new tenants for me this evening.

IMG_20170606_210204.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Getting ready for the heat wave next week, starting this weekend. Last year it got so bad in the coop~a double shaded area with whole walls open to air~ that the hens would be panting on the nests and on the roosts at night. So, last year I added a fan to the coop for these times...got it out and ready.

In the morning I'll point it at the main nesting boxes and when I gather the eggs of an evening I'll point it toward the roosts. Having a hoop coop makes all of that enormously easy as there are multiple hanging points all over the structure from which to hang a fan. My current fan is just the top of an oscillating fan that my son was throwing out because the base had broken...still worked, so couldn't see throwing that out. ;)

So, in the summer months, it hangs in my coop, waiting for the really hot and humid days.

Since they aren't confined to a coop and run, they usually spend those really hot days out in the cool of the woods and do well in the heat. They dust, they lounge on the cool grass or in the damp forest floor debris until the cool parts of the day, then they resume foraging.

What do you all do for the flock when you get into the hot and humid days of summer? :pop

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine have multiple places to lounge also. I do have a fan in the barn and they do take advantage of that. I've even had chickens that will take a "dip" in the heat of the day. I've caught them standing or even sitting in a puddle. They do seem to adjust, somewhat, to the heat as the summer goes on.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Where we lived in S.A. our summer temperatures went to 120F and more sometimes. I poured a lot of water in a shady spot in the run for the chickens to stand in, to keep their feet cool. That really helped them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yep, it got up to 130 a time or two. That was brutal!