Chicks are hatching :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have another broody sitting on 5 eggs. She's on day 10 now, I think... Last week was a little bit crazy, I can't remember when I gave her the eggs. This is why we have hens... ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ugh, 2 of her eggs disappeared :( DS had some questionable friend round yesterday and I'm 99% sure he was the culprit. Neither admission of quilt or the eggs were forthcoming though, so I threatened grievous bodily harm to the next one that messes with her, or goes anywhere near the coop. Every time these kids come round eggs go missing and my patience have run out now.

I hope the remaining 3 eggs hatch :fl

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've had eggs disappear from under a hen B4 w/no kid messing w/them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Same here, but the kids and specifically that one, was messing around where she's sitting and when DH went to check why she's complaining he found there were eggs missing. we went to the shop yesterday morning and this kid tagged along. Later in the day we ran into town quick and someone stopped and told us that while we were in the shop, the kid stole something and the shop owners caught it on a security camera. We'll have to go sort that out tomorrow since the shop's closed today.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope everything goes well with the sticky fingers kid! Can't wait to see your new chicks <3 I love baby chicks and the peeppeep noises they make!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sad update on second broody. One chick started zipping and died and I just found another one dead under her. DS confessed that his little friend threw stones at my hen :somad That kid is going to get hurt if he comes here again...

The poor hen is down to one egg now and I don't know what's going on in there. Honestly I'm torn between wishing it will hatch so she gets something for her trouble and just wanting to break the poor thing's broodiness, so she can get a break and try again.

The other broody momma and her babies are doing great! One of them are well along with feathering out all over, except on her tail. She looks so funny. I will try and get some pics of her, if she'll stand still long enough.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Sorry you're having to deal w/that. I know next year, if at all possible, I want to start the incubator at the same time that I have a broody. And, I'll only let her have a few eggs. Then if she only hatches 1 or 2, she'll still have chicks to raise. (And I won't have to do it.)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wish now I did put some eggs in the incubator, but I bought it in Ireland, so I need an adapter plug for it and I'm using the one we have to charge my laptop... DH is still undecided whether he'll keeping my incubator to use here when I go back to Ireland, or let me take it back with me. But for that I would've changed that plug the moment the guarantee expired.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That little turd! How dare he throw rocks at your hen :somad sounds a lot like some kids I know! Glad the other hens doing well, is it hard to use incubators?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Depends on the incubator. I have a styrofoam incubator that I never had any luck with and just got a Brinsea Eco Mini. And while I can only hatch out 7 eggs at a time in it, it's the right size for me. I don't want more chicks than that at a time.