Chiggers / Turkey mites

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, those bites looked sore. Glad the ammonia offered some relief. How are you feeling now?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're making me happy to live up north, don't think we have those here... If we do, I've never heard about them. Glad the trick helped! Sounds miserable!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to say THANKS again to @milkmansdaughter for the awesome ammonia on bug bites tip.

I actually was able to sleep last night and only woke up once from itching. I got up and reapplied ammonia with a cotton ball and went back to sleep. :) First good sleep I got in 4 nights and I needed it... I was starting to get really crabby.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As you can see - ammonia dried my bites right out. I haven't put anymore ammonia on today - no need I'm no longer itching Going finish off healing with triple antibiotic ointment so they don't get infected. What a great home remedy tip!!!

After two days of ammonia
IMG_20170930_153107.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol, so glad it feels better. (It actually "looks" worse.)

Over the years I've been hesitant to tell people to try ammonia. It amazes me how many people will go buy a $4+ bug bite stick that lasts for only a few bites (how I got my one and only bite stick). The ingredient list says "ammonia". But they got it in the camping or fishing section of a store. But the same person will look at me like I'm crazy for using the $1 gallon bottle of ammonia from Dollar General. I should buy the little roll on bottles, bottle it myself, give it a fancy name, and sell it. :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol, so glad it feels better. (It actually "looks" worse.)

Over the years I've been hesitant to tell people to try ammonia. It amazes me how many people will go buy a $4+ bug bite stick that lasts for only a few bites (how I got my one and only bite stick). The ingredient list says "ammonia". But they got it in the camping or fishing section of a store. But the same person will look at me like I'm crazy for using the $1 gallon bottle of ammonia from Dollar General. I should buy the little roll on bottles, bottle it myself, give it a fancy name, and sell it. :lol:

Most people don't read... I've been thinking about selling latex paint thinner - water :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, OUCH! Those things did a good job on you, but I'm so glad the ammonia helped. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind myself for future. I must taste really good, because bugs love biting me. Heck, everything loves biting me! I even hold the questionable honour of being bit by a Springbok :rolleyes: