Chinese scientists are creating CRISPR babies

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cat is out of the bag, y'all know that some really idiot people are going to go for this.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cat is out of the bag, y'all know that some really idiot people are going to go for this.

Ethicllly speaking genetically modified organisms is just totally scary. genetically modified animals is a lot scarier. But genetically modified humans is nothing short of horrifying.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I was in college (3 years ago) when this technology came out. My Sustainable Ag. & Plant Science professors thought it was the greatest thing ever.

I have mixed feelings about GMO's in agriculture. They DO lessen the impact on soil, and have made crop production possible in bad years. They have also drastically increased production and lessened petroleum inputs. However, I understand the public uncertainty about them and do question some science about them.

This CRISPR technology was created to speed the genetic modification process up, and improve agricultural production. However, this is clearly an example about how man's best intentions can be used in negative ways.

The Book of Daniel says that knowledge would be increased in the last days, and I truly believe this is evidence of it unfolding before our eyes. For the time, I will keep my eyes on the cross and tend my land to the best of my ability.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And don't fool yourselves that the first things the Chinese (and probably others as well, including our own fearless leaders) will be doing with this technology is breeding up "Super Soldiers" for warfare.... Did anyone ever read "The Postman" by David Brin?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Of course they are. How devious that they are initially using this technology to breed resistance to some horrific diseases into the genome. Next will come more subtle mutations. Followed by patenting of human genetic material. (hello monsanto)

And don't fool yourselves that the first things the Chinese (and probably others as well, including our own fearless leaders) will be doing with this technology is breeding up "Super Soldiers" for warfare.... Did anyone ever read "The Postman" by David Brin?

Have not read that book. But... consider this... Until recently, I'm not sure what current policy is... China went to great lengths to control their population with the 1 baby rule. With certain exceptions, a couple was allowed to have one child. Males were highly desired, while girls considered to be of lesser value. So, if a couple gave birth to a girl, they would then be allowed a second chance to produce the desired boy. If the SECOND child was a girl, their game was over. This gave rise to a thriving foreign adoption industry, along side a far less publicized abortion, infanticide and infant abandonment issue. Gender selection through abortion is utilized.

My sister adopted a baby from China. This was about 14 years ago. They went to China with a group of other adoptive parents, and were in the country for about a week. While there, this group of "foreigners" took their babies on sight seeing tours. They were often approached by Chinese couples seeking to arrange marriages between their toddler sons, and these Americanized Chinese girls.

In a country which through one process or an other eliminates a large percentage of their females, what are the options for the male children? If a boy grows up, having very few options for marriage and family, what other options are open to him? Consider a HUGE population of young men in that same situation. War becomes a viable management tool.

If genetic manipulation of the human genome becomes accepted practice, there will be much less tolerance for any natural genetic deviation which is considered sub-standard or defective by those in control of such things. Forced, or pressured abortion and euthanasia will be quick to follow.

I do not wonder what God has to say about all of this. Perhaps the question to ask: How and when will He deal with this?

Last edited: