Chispito Wind Power

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I put it on my favorites. Sure as shootin' people start making their own, they will pass some regulation that prohibits one from having a turbine that wasn't built to a manufacturing gov't standard, blah, blah, blah... Mustn't let that money slip out of their hands, you know! :rolleyes:

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Thanks for the link! I put it on my favorites. Sure as shootin' people start making their own, they will pass some regulation that prohibits one from having a turbine that wasn't built to a manufacturing gov't standard, blah, blah, blah... Mustn't let that money slip out of their hands, you know! :rolleyes:
your totally right though

mjdtexan

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love stuff like that. I am wanting to build a windmill to aereate (spelling?) our pasture pond. To just up and buy one is expensive

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that prohibits one from having a turbine that wasn't built to a manufacturing gov't standard, blah, blah, blah...

*********funny you mentioned this cause Tony heard some info on the radio about "when we want to try to change over to wind power for the masses"---environmentalist and scientists are already saying that the wind blades will keep too much warm air at ground level and disturb the natural order.

Hmm.....here we go.

and of course bird people, Ugh, they swear wind power kills tons of birds and the noise, etc. throws off their internal navigation etc. etc.

so yes, it is already starting about the down sides to "the other alternatives"

GardenSimply

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here and resurrecting this thread a bit.. I was taking a class at our local college and the biology teacher was working on his thesis. It wasn't exactly on windpower, but on the effect that cellular towers have on birds.. it's not NEARLY as bad as they expected it to be.

My thinking is that if that is far less, windpower, making actual NOISE, will make the birds far less apt to run into them. As for the air at ground level changing, that is interesting. I'll have to look that up.

I am interested in making the Chispito wind generator for one home. Hope to get it up by spring and give it a go. Purely for my own education at this point.

I live in Oklahoma and the regs for rebates/ tax incentives and the like already include the condition... "The turbine must incorporate advanced technologies such as new airfoils, new generators, and new power electronics and at least one unit of each model must have been installed for testing at the US-DOE National Wind Technology Center. All turbines must comply with appropriate interconnection safety standards of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers." of course. As if using renewable energy wasn't reason enough, they have to make it harder, Errrrr.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi GardenSimply, thanks for reviving this thread.

Would love to hear more about your Chispito when you get going.
Have you ever seen the homebrewed turbines at
www.otherpower.com ? They make some serious stuff. Kits as well.

Here's my "attempt" at small wind power, only 30watts. But if you're gonna learn the basics, maybe easier to start small and go up.

If you can find a good low RPM brushless DC motor, it really isn't that hard to make.

genny_0010.jpg

genny_0007.jpg

It was made from an 80 watt DC motor, plastic garbage pail and wood. It blew up in a typhoon :lol: , made a few other small ones but alas no pics.

GardenSimply

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That is SO very cool! I have wanted a windmill since I was a little girl.

My grandfather's arm was cut off in a sawmill accident, just below his elbow before he even got married and had his own children (my dad) ;) And my grandmother used to tell us that he got it chopped off in a windmill. I have NO idea where that story came from or why the adults thought it was funny. I guess they wanted to keep us from climbing on the windmill in the yard (decorative) I was just always fascinated by them.

I am not, however, very mechanically inclined, well, like the old say goes, "I AM mechanically inclined, I screw everything up" you should see my homemade chicken house, LOL

But it is a passion. I am going to be the little engine that could. I think I can... I think I can... I am going to do it. It may take me a while, and I may resurrect this thread again, but I promise to post photos when I do.

Thanks for posting yours. Do you live close to others? or are you rural?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenSimply said:
But it is a passion. I am going to be the little engine that could. I think I can... I think I can... I am going to do it. It may take me a while, and I may resurrect this thread again, but I promise to post photos when I do.

Thanks for posting yours. Do you live close to others? or are you rural?
Hi again GS,

You can do it! Just find the right motor. I'm still searching for a good one, very hard to find round here.

We live in a rural area with the nearest neighbor being 100 yards due south. How about you, what kind of area are you in? Do you have lots of tall trees around?

We get a good south wind most of the year, so it should produce some power.