christmas tree

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When do you put up your tree?

driving around at dark I can't believe how many people have Xmas lights on already. Mine aren't out of the box yet, and I haven't eaten my Thanksgiving turkey yet...I can't do Christmas before T-day...LOL-LOL

how soon does your tree go up???and outside lights go up??

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, this is a sore subject with me! :lol: My DH has been making fun of me for how aggravated I get when people put up their Christmas trees, lights, etc. right after Halloween. The stores, too! It's sad because I think that it takes away from the specialness for the purpose of selling more stuff.

So anyway, Dec 1 is the absolute earliest date that I put my stuff up. Sometimes it's hard to wait, because I LOVE Christmas, but it's a hard & fast rule for me. :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I second that FC NOT BEFORE THANKSGIVING!!

If our tree is fake, it will go up and get decorated by the 6th of dec. If it is a real tree we will have it up by the 9th or tenth.
My :rolleyes: neighbor had all her lights up by the 3 of november. She HAS NOT lit them up tho and wont until after thanksgiving...THank the lord :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't believe how many people leave lights up all year long. I hate that look of swag lights on a porch in June or July. As much as I see the work saved in doing that, I just can't justify the tacky and laziness of it.
OK--don't everyone jump on me for saying that...it is how I feel..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh for me, I will put the tree up about Dec. 2-3-4 or so. And outside lights go up then also.

I am not putting out as many lights outside as last year.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got our trains and Christmas village largely set up last weekend just because we were in the mood. I even played Christmas carols. Our schedule is jammed pack the first two weekends of December. I guess the tree will have to go up either this weekend or the weekend before Christmas on the 20th. Problem is, unpacking the stuff creates quite a bit of disruption. I would rather wait to put it up, but if we put it up this weekend, I'll have more time to clean up afterwards. What weekend would you do it?

Inchy

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Husband usually strings up the outside light the weekend after Thanksgiving. The tree usally ges up within the next two weeks depending on schedules and weather. I agree no Crhistmas until after Thanksgiving!!!

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
my wife always decorates in the beging of dec. the sad thing or good depending on your point o view is we cant have a real tree because of out kidds alergies. now lights out side are nice you have to go with the new ones they are so much more energy efficent

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
my wife always decorates in the beging of dec. the sad thing or good depending on your point o view is we cant have a real tree because of out kidds alergies. now lights out side are nice you have to go with the new ones they are so much more energy efficent

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'm also one of those who gets cranky with people putting Christmas before Thanksgiving! DH, on the other hand, thinks as soon as it snows, we should start Christmas decorating! We'll we've been getting snow since the first week of November, and that is way too early! :D

We usually get a live tree that can be planted as part of our windbreak on the property. So we may get a tree after Thanksgiving, but it doesn't come inside until the second week of December. The temps inside our house hover around 55F all winter, which I think helps the tree. Jan 6th it all comes down.