christmas tree

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Usually Dh puts our outside lights up the weekend before Thanksgiving but we do not turn them on till Thanksgiving when it gets dark. To me T-Day is the start of the Christmas season!

This year I am not sure if we are putting them up or not....we may be moving soon and have not yet ironed out the details. It all really takes the joy out of my season, having to move, being broke, not decorations to help lift my spirits.

As for putting up decorations before T-Day? No Way!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I do it when I feel inspired. Last year it was a week before Christmas. I only had the energy to put up our smallest artificial tree . . . a desktop version.

As much as I love Christmas lights, they will be limited to indoors, but I have decided I want to put some up this year. I didn't have any except on the tree last year.

Last year I made my own wreath to hang on our gate and I also put those shatterproof (plastic) ornaments on one of our diminutive outdoor pine trees. It was fun to see it on frosty mornings. I will probably do something similar again this year.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow 55 is that not a bit cool even for me it seems aliitle cool

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You get used to 55 F. It is actually warm compared to 52 F or 48 F. ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My DS's birthday is Dec 8th and our Anniversary is Dec 10th. I always wait till after those two dates to start decorating. I want to make sure that each has their own celebration.

When my son was little, I refused to let people wrap birthday gifts in Christmas paper. I didn't want him to feel like his birthday wasn't special enough.

I'll probably get my tree up after the second week of Dec. and it usually comes down no later than a couple of days after Christmas. I like to get things back in order after the holidays.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey punkin I hear ya on the birthday
mine is Dec 7 and soooo many times I hear everyone say, ahh, you b-day is such a waste so close to Christmas, it does get forgotten..LOL

BUT my cousin Lori was on Dec. 25. Talk about being cheated...no one cared about her b-day...even though my aunt tried to do a b-day party etc. to include the kids and stuff, everyone was wrapped up in Christmas toys to care about her b-day...LOL---she got used to it..HA HA

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I get in trouble for sounding judgmental if I'm not careful on this one so I'll say right up front, I'm NOT! I know an awful lot of people who will put up their trees Friday and several of the students I worked with today put theirs up already so their families could enjoy them for Thanksgiving. Ours will go up two weekends before Christmas at the earliest depending on when Christmas falls during the week. With Christmas on a Thursday this year it may not go up until the 21st. We celebrate Advent as a time of its own, a waiting and preparation time. Our church will not be decorated until the Sunday before Christmas, AFTER the service. Decorations don't come down until after Epiphany. We are definitely in the minority where we live. We're already see outdoor lights in many neighborhoods. It doesn't bother me that people do it. But I'm not going to change the way I do it. It does bother me that some people act like I'm a Scrooge for not doing it their way! :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I don't think you are judgemental. I understand . . . everyone has their own reasons for the way they celebrate, based upon religion, beliefs and traditions.

I think my best childhood memory was the year we put the Christmas tree up on Christmas eve. It seemed somehow more significant.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We also have a Dec. Birthday - My DD's B-Day is the 12th. I let her decide every year if the tree goes up before or after her B-Day. When she was really little, I always did it after and made sure her B-day was a separate occasion. We sometimes even "postponed" her celebrations until Jan. to make sure everyone was in B-day mode!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not judging anyone either...we all have our preference...but me being SS...I sure don't want to pay FOREVER for Christmas lights being on...LOL-LOL

Plus I can't do Christmas that long. I need a shorter holiday. With the decorations in the store right on the heals of Halloween and T-day...it gets to be too much for me.

Tony's b-day is Jan. 4

you wouldn't believe how many times I missed it....oh I had a few presents for him, but always forgot the day..HA HA....after Christmas and New Years I don't want to think anything, let alone another day of presents, etc......poor guy...but he understands..HAHA

(and besides, so easy to make it up to him..HA HA)