cigrette flavor/smell in pecans

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd rather not speak of how the smell/taste got in the pecans, but I have some shelled pecans and I consider them too valueable to throw to the chickens, unless I first attempt to salvage them. I am now soaking them in water and baking soda and hoping to make candy later today.
Okay.....thats what I'm doing, but if anyone has a different or better idea I can try, I'm ready to consider it. Please......:/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put them in a jar with oxygen absorbers? Pack them in a jar with cloves? Trade one smell for another, but at least it would smell better. Clove flavored pecans......might start something there. Good luck, hope you can get the smell-taste out.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx....it might have worked, but I gave up. I did make the candy and there is no reason it shouldn't have worked, but even though it was getting candied on the sides of the pot, by the time I actually poured the mixture, it didn't harden properly and you'd have had to eat it with a spoon; and still you'd have detected a slight cigarette flavor, so I threw away the batch. My chickens are about to get a few pounds of Salem mental flavored pecans. Yuck. I need to freezer space anyway.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Thanx....it might have worked, but I gave up. I did make the candy and there is no reason it shouldn't have worked, but even though it was getting candied on the sides of the pot, by the time I actually poured the mixture, it didn't harden properly and you'd have had to eat it with a spoon; and still you'd have detected a slight cigarette flavor, so I threw away the batch. My chickens are about to get a few pounds of Salem mental flavored pecans. Yuck. I need to freezer space anyway.
Did you mean Salem MENTHOL flavor? I know a few tricks for tobacco that will reduce it but years ago when I worked with menthol {for mouthwash] nothing would get the flavor or smell off my skin hail or clothing except time. Sorry about your nuts.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry about your nuts.
:lol:

But, as someone who knows how expensive pecans are, I'm sorry for your loss. Hope the chickens love them!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, its not me that peeled them anyway....it was Momma, so I hate throwing them. They would have costed me a lot in the store and knowing a bit about harvesting and tending to my own food, its even more valueable. I took it from Momma's refrigerator and put it straight into mine, but baking soda for sure doesn't do the job, even with changing the water 3 X's. Its probably a once in a lifetime experience. Its not likely I'll ever have to deal with this problem again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I scrounged a vacant lot in town a couple blocks from my house last fall for the native pecans. Little suckers that were hard to crack and pick. I would be very upset if something ruined them. I am sorry you had to toss them to the chickens.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH got home about 11:00pm last night from work and about that time, I took the dog out, cuz she was looking at me and following me around. Well, I decided to go in the coop, cuz the light is still on for the ducklings and one of my light brahma hens was walking around the coop, she met me at the gate and was just checking out the coop and jumping for the bugs that were attracted to the light. I was wondering why she was up in the middle of the night and then I said, its gotta be those pecans.