Cleaning a smelly microwave oven. Any tips?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A few weeks ago DS sacrificed a packet of microwave popcorn in my almost brand new microwave oven. I sprayed it thoroughly inside with kitchen cleaner and scrubbed the oven to within an inch of it's life and I cleaned it quite a few times since, but it still smells when I cook something in there that makes steam. For example this evening I pre-cooked some potatoes in there before roasting them. When I opened the door I got hit with the smell of burnt popcorn.

Any ideas on what I can do to get that smell out for good?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
microwaves have an air circulation system. Probably just have to wait it out

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Microwave a bowl of distilled vinegar maybe? Dilute in water half and half. Let it sit overnight. Or longer. The smell is all up in the unit, where you can't reach it to clean it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always use the vinegar method for steam cleaning the microwave. I don't dilute it, but then the hot vinegar next helps clean the sink faucet.

For smell you can do water and lemon juice to help. Unplug (if you can) and leave the door open for a bit as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't update sooner. I put a bowl of diluted vinegar in the microwave after I cooked some potatoes in it, so it was hot and steamy (and smelly!) in there already. I cooked the vinegar for about 3 minutes and the burned popcorn smell seems to be gone :) I didn't get another whiff of it since. Thanks so much for the tip!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yay, glad the vinegar worked. I was going to suggest using vinegar also.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, this is an old thread. Wonder why my computer pulled it up on top of the list.
Sorry for posting on something so old

Latest posts