Cleaning a smelly microwave oven. Any tips?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I recently tried the half a lime and bowl of vinegar thing. Not only did it clean, the whole kitchen smelled good! :thumbsup

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would put a bowl of water with lemon juice instead of vinegar for a more citrus-y smell! :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we're pretty sensitive to smells here. Mom uses a lot of fabrics that other people have washed and used various detergents and softeners on and sometimes she also was using spray starches which some have scents. almost all of them are too strong and too smelly for her so now she uses apple cider vinegar when she irons and rinses all the fabrics with distilled vinegar in the rinse water (she washes everything again before she uses it).

i can handle the smell of ACV as we make a lot of dill pickles in the summer and it doesn't bother either of us.

will have to remember the boiling it in the microwave trick if we ever get something too smelly in there. hasn't happened yet, but you never know... :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used white vinegar to freshen up the couch - just spray it on and let it dry. The vinegar smell disappears and the couch no longer has that stale person/animal smell to it, it smells fresh. It even removed the urine smell from the dog bed that cat decided to use as a litter box for a week before I discovered it.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A few weeks ago DS sacrificed a packet of microwave popcorn in my almost brand new microwave oven. I sprayed it thoroughly inside with kitchen cleaner and scrubbed the oven to within an inch of it's life and I cleaned it quite a few times since, but it still smells when I cook something in there that makes steam. For example this evening I pre-cooked some potatoes in there before roasting them. When I opened the door I got hit with the smell of burnt popcorn.

Any ideas on what I can do to get that smell out for good?
I had the same problem before. put half a lemon inside. let it on for around 3 mins. Scrubbing it after will be a lot easier, plus it will eliminate any foul odour too.