Clipping Wings/ Chickens Still Flying?

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've got a flock of (now) about 18 chickens. We've had some deaths and disappearances recently. I have a rotational electro-net setup, 4', with deer netting on the lower 28" to prevent the chickens from going through the charged netting (which they did...and got zapped...and continued to do...).

Now, will all of the wings clipped this past Sunday, several have still managed to go over the netting.

HOW??

i thought clipping prevented them from getting enough lift.

What can I do to keep them grounded for good? Thanks....

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you clip the flight feathers symmetrically on both sides? I've read that clipping on one side is more effective. Otherwise, you're not cutting off enough of the feather. Too short and you risk injury to blood feathers as new flight feathers develop.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Did you clip the flight feathers symmetrically on both sides? I've read that clipping on one side is more effective.
Yes, clip them only on one side. Rhoda says she clips the left wing only, and I've found either the right or left works - but the essential thing is to clip on one side, which confounds the bird's ability to take flight.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yeah, i only did one side. I had done the other side about 6 weeks ago (right first, then left). Could it be that it wasn't enough taken off?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I assumed the feather should be cut at the tips of the non-flight feathers.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok. We cut the longest feathers (maybe 3 inches from the top to bottom of the wing?) down to when the next layer of small feather overlaps on the left side. Wehad done the same on the right side 6 weeks ago. Does that make sense? Was that enough? We can trim some more if need be....

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Couple of questions about your chickens......well, maybe more than a couple.
How old are they and what breed(s)? Sometimes young pullets don't have their adult body weight, and can fly much more easily than they will be able to when they mature a little. I had one that flew with clipped wing feathers, too, but I don't think she could now.
What are they flying away from, or to? Do they escape during the day, or disappear at night? If they are being frightened to the point that they fly up in a way they normally wouldn't, perhaps you could reduce their level of fright. Big dog running around the coop terrorizing them, maybe? Raccoon coming in without you seeing it?
Is there any way you could cover the top of the yard with plastic netting? (Would only keep hawks out, and chickens in)
Or, as an alternative, adding a little extra wire to the top may be the answer. Just a couple lines of plain wire would help give the illusion of a taller fence, to the chickens.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know what went wrong, but if you did one side one week and then the other side the next, I'm thinking you might have balanced them out and might just have to wait until they regrow to be able to get them uneven again. You mentioned deer netting. I've used that for a canopy, supported by clothes line wire to protect from chicken hawks and zip tied to the fence. Not sure what kind of set up you have, but is it possible to extend the 4 ft fence, just a bit? I can't do freerange, for safety reasons, so I believe in a bit of confinement, provided you can give them all the treats they would have had otherwise.
And my reasons for clipping the left, is because I'm right handed and its easier to hold the bird that way.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I don't know what went wrong, but if you did one side one week and then the other side the next, I'm thinking you might have balanced them out and might just have to wait until they regrow to be able to get them uneven again..
Sorry - I meant to say it was six weeks. Is it better to just always do one side?