Clipping Wings/ Chickens Still Flying?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
bubba1358 said:
Beekissed said:
Could you possibly post a video of these birds going over the fence? It could give us a point of reference on solutions for the problem. To every problem there is a solution but sometimes a good visual is worth a thousand words.
I wish I could, since I have not yet actually seen it. I'll just come out, and 3 of them are hangin out on the other side.
I would take some time and observe this escaping...could be you will find the source of your problem. Most birds of those heavy breeds and at that age don't just fly over a fence...usually they hop up to something to gain some height first, so there could be something in their enclosure that is aiding in this escape..even something you wouldn't think is a likely place from whence to launch flight.

I'm also wondering how in the world chickens that size are going through the spaces on electric poultry netting..are you sure you aren't using the netting designed for larger livestock, like the sheep netting? I made that mistake when I purchased my electric netting and the birds could go through, yelping as they got shocked..but the smaller squares of the poultry netting shouldn't let a bird of that size and age even squeeze their body through, let alone slip through.

Might be time for a stake out to see where and how your escapees are getting out. :)
3802_tower_guard.jpg
DH says he has seen with his own eyes-- chickens that couldn't fly WALKING up fencing (it wasn't the electric stuff though)-- they would flap their wings madly while they were climbing that fence but they never actually flew---but it was enough to be able to get to the other side.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is why my runs are roofed. Most of the chickens will flap climb the chain link. I blame Emma chicken. She weighs about 5 pounds but that bird can fly and they all try and follow her. I've seen her fly 7 feet almost straight up to get on the awning. Luckily she's the only older bird that can fly well.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After I bragged that my chickens never get in the garden with a 4' fence around it, DH told me one of the girls was in the garden today. :/ Gate was closed, and the only way she could have gotten in was to fly in. Fortunately, she was so anxious about being trapped in there, she didn't bother anything. I think something must have scared her and she had nowhere to run, so flew up and over. DH said she was panting and pretty flustered by the time he found her racing frantically from one side to the other. Silly chicken.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice and the tips.

I think I'll stick to one side clipping, and after looking this weekend, it does seem like I didn't get quite enough of the feathers this go-around. So I'll trim 'em closer, and remember that going forward.