Cloth Diapering

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If your baby isn't in daycare, cloth diapers are very do-able. I think new parents should have some cloth dipes on hand even if they plan to use disposable. Especially true for families with any financial insecurity so that running out of diapers before payday is not a problem.

I can help with cloth diapering. Finding the right kind can be hard. They're not available in stores and the grandmas who offer cloth diapering advice have no idea what they're talking about. Cloth diapering has changed dramatically. Its so much easier now!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I tried cloth diapering with DS and it gave him horrible skin issues. My husband wasn’t on board so I quit trying. I’m sure I could have found a different style that worked but having 3 kids and doing most animal chores around here, I pick my battles!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Some of the new cloth diapers are very difficult to get clean and get detergent residue out of them.

@NH Homesteader brings up a great point, when you are sleep-deprived and overwhelmed with child care is NOT the time to learn to cloth diaper. I wanted to use prefolds with my second baby because the laundry is easier, but I didn't learn any of the folds. I was so sleep-deprived I was unable to follow the instructions and learn how to do it!! Get diapers early, get or borrow a life-size newborn doll, and practice before baby is here. The doll isn't going to kick, roll away, or pee on you like the real thing. :gig