clubfoot and lameness

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ACV works great for absess. And sometimes they can travel up the hoof wall and come out at the coronet. Freaky! If you can get a medicine boot on her, that is very helpful for absesses.

I have an ice trick too. Freeze a bag of water over an orange juice canister so when you need to wrap ice around a leg it is already in the shape of the leg. I suppose it wouldn't help her coronet area, but for the future. :hu

Good LUCK!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
ACV works great for absess. And sometimes they can travel up the hoof wall and come out at the coronet. Freaky! If you can get a medicine boot on her, that is very helpful for absesses.

I have an ice trick too. Freeze a bag of water over an orange juice canister so when you need to wrap ice around a leg it is already in the shape of the leg. I suppose it wouldn't help her coronet area, but for the future. :hu

Good LUCK!!
Awesome idea! Have you seen those boots that you attach your hose to? Now THOSE are cool... I wish we'd had something like that when we had our gelding lol. ACV? I'm not familiar with this... we put absorbine on it to cool it down for now, we're not certain it's an abscess yet but it definitely fits the bill.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha I was wondering about things like that for AGES on BYC until someone mentioned it in another post and then I was like, HAHAHAHA SO oh man I get it now.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If its an abscess, my Jigs had one last winter. All we did was soak his hoof in a bucket of warm water with ACV in it for 15 minutes twice a day. Then we packed his hoof with epsom salts, and wrapped his hoof up with a baby diaper, duct tape, and vet wrap. . After three days the abscess drained. We kept it clean for another week--put betadine on it, and continued to wrap it with the baby diaper. He was all fine and dandy after a week.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks miss, we gave her an epsom bath this morning and will go down again soon for another, and then one before evening. We're also going to ice the swollen/hot area but already it looks like the epsom bath has given her some relief. The farrier couldn't find an entry point, and did a tap test on the hoof wall. We believe whatever is affecting her is in the front at the top by her coronet. i can't see a bulge in the hoof wall but that could mean its in the soft tissue. We had a wet spring so my thought is that this softened her hoof and let in dirt from the paddock, then grew around it and we may not have noticed it for weeks. She's not standing still all the time now. The vet is coming out Monday afternoon to check it out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, I am just reading along. You horse people have your hands full.
You gotta love em, cuz they can be alot of work and headache.

Lupin--good luck, hope everything turns out well.