Cob homes

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Did you see the episode of "Dirty Jobs" where Mike Rowe, the host, worked on the site of one? Pretty interesting, if not grubby, to watch! I had read about them some time ago and thought that the idea was really neat (I think it was in the book, Simple Living ).

Vikki
popping quickly out of lurkdom on a break from real life...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Kristen! :woot Karanleaf is going to start construction soon on her straw bale house.

For my own wish list, I would love to build the strawbale/cob combo. I think some of the cob homes I've seen pics of are the most beautiful homes I've ever seen....not to mention cheaper to build, built of renewable materials, super self-insulating and last for up to 500 years! Yes, there are 500 year old cob structures in Europe still standing today. :th

Please keep us informed of your progress with pics and info on what you choose to build, the style you are going to incorporate and all the work involved.

What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking? :)

KristenF87

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I live in sunny Florida. The extreme heat in the summers is yet another reason we are interested in building a cob home as they offer great insulation.

It will probably be a while before we're ready to actually build (seeing as how we don't even have property yet lol) but I will definitely keep everyone posted :)

When we are ready to build, I would like to attend a cob work-shop where you help to build a structure and learn how to work with the material. http://cobworkshops.org/

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Cob is a great idea. Since you want to live in Fla you will have to really protect your outer walls from moisture. Maybe a wraparound porch or something similar. I was from central Fla. but am in the mountains now and want to try cob building too. I was thinking a cob henhouse would be good practice. Good luck!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dream about a cob house, I'd LOVE to build one. Planning to start with a little one, maybe with a little bench inside, I've gotten a few books on the subject, and the most important thing is a good foundation and good roof. The foundation part seems really hard to me, since I am generally impatient, and don't like cement.. or rocks... the cob part is fun. Try to find a workshop in your area that will teach you the basics. I went to one at D-acres, in Dorchester, NH, and helped build a cob oven. It was super fun, and allowed everyone to be really creative. I'd love to 'hand sculpt' my own house!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I have the base built and filled with heavy dirt and leveled off. Next comes the frame for the base. I was just thinking last night about getting my dad involved. He isn't doing great and could use a diversion.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Well, I have the base built and filled with heavy dirt and leveled off. Next comes the frame for the base. I was just thinking last night about getting my dad involved. He isn't doing great and could use a diversion.
Awesome! I think it is a great idea to get your father involved, I'm sure he would love to help you.

Do you know how well it would hold up outside in the elements? (Not your oven but cob in general.)

I think it was wifezilla who said to use hay bales to make a shelter for ducks. I thought about that b/c I have tons of hay bales and can get it almost free if I get old hay. That type of shelter wont really work b/c of our rainy season, so that is why I thought I could "cob" a shelter.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, with a cob oven, you have to cover it during the rainy season, which in this part of California is pretty short. I wonder how those who build houses from cob deal with that issue.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They usually make sure they have a great overhang, good footers and they seal their cob with a paint treatment. There are cob homes in England that are 500 years old and still look great! I think some of those were sealed with a milk paint.