Coffee Alternative

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The thread on local foods made be think about how I've long wanted to try roasting dandelion root for a coffee alternative. Don't know when I'll get around to it, though. :/

Anyway, I went to a class on wild foraging and met this guy who makes Dandy Blend here in Ohio. I tasted it and bought some. It is a blend of dandelion, chicory, barley, rye, and sugar beet. No caffeine. It tastes really good. I make it both hot and cold. Had some last night. The two health food stores I go to carry it.

http://www.dandyblend.com/

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
No caffeine???

:th
Oh, believe me, I drink coffee with plenty of caffeine daily. This is what I enjoy when I want an evening coffee and don't need any more caffeine in my system. ;)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I drank 2 quarts of honeyed, milky coffee on Saturday. I was all :weee

This blend would have come in handy, since I was up until at least midnight that night. Sounds tasty!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It'll be pretty dismal at my house if we have to brew dandylions instead of coffee beans.
...let me think about it...

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :barnie

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
It'll be pretty dismal at my house if we have to brew dandylions instead of coffee beans.
...let me think about it...

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :barnie
What she said....:(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't chicory still real big down in New Orleans? I saw a food show once and they talked about it.

I'll stick with my coffee, I usually supplement around 2pm with chocolate covered espresso beans. :weee

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know what the big deal is about caffeine. I never drank coffee and hate soda. Wake up and go to sleep when I want. My sister who is a soda addict is pretty pathetic. She can't even make it through the day without at least 64 ounces of pepsi and crashes on the weekend. She is also quite a bit bigger than me. All that soda does pack on the pounds.

The few times I did drink anything caffeinated I was so jittery and jumpy. I vowed never to consume the stuff again. Also, no alcohol or cigarettes. You wouldn't beleive how many supposedly intelligent grad students that light up. Don't they realize that coolness factor will wear-off when they have to drag around an oxygen tank?

I have never seen chicory in the stores here in California. It is really big in the UK. You can plant it. They are very easy to grow being a relative of lettuce and dandelion.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I don't think her thread was spurred by a caffeine need, rather by a local supply need. I may be wrong, though.

I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and not really for the caffeine. I like the taste of a good, strong cup of coffee. Any more than that in any form (tea, cokes, whatever) interupts my sleeping, too.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You want an alternative to coffee????? Are you nuts? :lol:

There would be a huge ruckus at my house without coffee :p

:caf