Coffee done now

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, I'm with you on enjoying a cup of coffee even though I shouldn't be seeing how I feel like this, " get behind on doing something stay behind on the rest of the things then it takes forever to catch up so eventually have to prioritize and keep pushing through until everything is done." But I'm really enjoying my cup of coffee and enjoying the nice cool morning seeing how by 4pm it's supposed to get up to 68° here in Central New York.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has taken me a long time to finally understand that I will NEVER be "caught up"! I just do my best to do what HAS to be done... !

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170521_053610.jpg
Morning all! Check the rainbow out- that's what I woke up to this morning. Isn't it beautiful? Today is going to be a good day no matter where you are or what you're doing.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is beautiful! What a great start to the day :)

I got up tired, so I'm taking it easy today, or as much as I can. After a walk of course. Had to get my walk in. Now, lunch and a few minutes catching up here before I can't avoid work any longer lol No rest for the weary.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has taken me a long time to finally understand that I will NEVER be "caught up"! I just do my best to do what HAS to be done... !

:lol: Some days even the "has to dos" are a challenge to complete. :old I believe I need to start "in my lifetime" list for some of my projects in waiting. :idunno

So this morning.....coffee at 5:30, out for chores, waiting for a lady who had asked me to help her band two bucklings. I am not sure why I even THOUGHT that I should, don't really know her well at all. But, since she was a woman alone needing help, I agree. She ASSURED me These guys were tame & she could hold them without issue. Tried to do this Thur AM, she had so many delays I told her too late for me, rescheduled till this AM....she HAD to be here by 8AM or I could not get involved. She arrived and had the two, both in large dog carrier. No collars!! A bale string in her hand. :ep My collars are all on my goats. I go get some horse leads. Not putting her goats near mine. We put one in my horse trailer, other I securely tie around neck AND around body at girth, leaving a "handle" of the lead at top. Told her to hold him while I loaded bands on device and I was NOT sure it would fit around at this point (larger kids than she had described) but, I had an emasculator at ready. In this two minutes, she decides she can tie him to a tree near by and as I'm hollering won't work, she loses him and now he is loose somewhere in the neighborhood. :barnie:hit:pop

She drove down road with bucket of feed I handed her and she returned saying "saw him run into woods next door". At this point I'm thinking...wow!...she decides she REALLY CAN NOT hold them, as she felt she could. Plus, she now doesn't want to "hurt" them with castrating :he , admits she should have done at 6 wks....on & on & on. I told her to get in the trailer, catch #2 as he knew her, not me. She did and I helped hold him to move the 3 ft from trailer to her container. He was happy for the crate he knew.

She's decided to go home (40 miles) get mom, whom she says is tame, leadable, milks, readily loads into her jeep, etc. and bring her back, walk her by woods and hope she calls to him, both jump in jeep. :th:hu:hide

Go for it! Sooner the better. She leaves, I'm on 2nd cup. These things are reasons I rarely offer to help some people, especially if not at THEIR house.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE :clap my broody BO hen that I moved Fri night has accepted the nest of eggs & has been on them ever since. She hatched some last year and I anticipate more chicks Jun 9-10. :) All the other chicks are doing well. The little families go into their houses at night, I close up, let out in AM....hens take them out, forage, protect and it's wonderful. By the time the next ones hatch , I will probably be able to guess roo/pullet on these running around. Will still set another hen if one goes broody for me.

The hen I caught, feeling she may be one breaking eggs, is still penned (this is 3rd day)...has 2 eggs in her box, in tact. I found one broken yesterday in main coop. :hu Gotta keep watching now.....don't need this. LOL. Will monitor a few more days. Yep, all will eat a shell -- I need to KNOW who's doing the bad deed. So life goes.

At least the snake last year took the entire egg, left no mess! Don't want anymore of those -- no matter.

Today I go to work at noon, off at four. Pays for feed. :cool: Need to go put the new deck engage cable on the mower, so DD can mow this afternoon.

Everyone have a GREAT day! :caf

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow...THAT is not a good start to the day! I was sort of laughing and cringing at the story at the same time. Hope she finds the baby, for the baby's sake.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
X2 Exiting start to a Sunday morning… Smh

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Talking about castrating, here is why I don't like asking people to help me do things. Had a guy come round to castrate a few boars for me some years ago. Good old-fashioned knife wielding, messy, get 'em out way. It went well enough I thought, at the time, except when I walked round the pen and found where he tossed the... (and left them), I stepped in it :confused:

I didn't look too closely at the work he did, being squeamish rookie pig farmer at the time, I should've before I paid him, he missed one. Not pig, testicle! So we had a boar running around with one missing :rolleyes: Seriously?

Just for the record, we found no difference in the meat and flavour of the boars with a pair, one, or no testicles.