Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I plant extra just for bugs and Voles, I put it in between different items, like a row between red & green cabbage
When do you plant it? I've always planted it in the fall, b/c "they say" you need to do that in order to get big bulbs. So... how does it work to plant a fall crop among plants that are spring planted?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_1249.JPG
I cleaned out the herb bed #4, the wormwood was taking over, I moved my work bench so I could hang some Lemon Balm to dry and the dogs could not get it,
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

can you give a description or pic of your wormwood, and tell me how tall it grows? I bought 3 wormwood plants this spring, and have bucket planted them b/c I know it to be invasive. Had a friend, years ago, who had some planted in front of her garden. It was very pretty. It's taken me this long to find some plants! My intended use is: dry it and use it in nest boxes and chicken coop to help repel bugs. I also have: lemon balm (though I'm down to one spindly plant b/c the rest winter killed. That's NEVER happened to lemon balm here before! Oregano, citronella, and just bought PennyRoyal. All are aromatics that I hope to use in the coop. Creeping Charlie grows freely all over the lawn and is invasive into garden. I don't mind it b/c it seems to be a wonderful bug repellant. And, I like the pungent minty smell of it.

I'm putting mint and garlic scapes/leaves into my weed tea. They seem to prevent mosquitoe larvae! Bought 6 goldfish for my rain barrel today. The mosquito dunks were not doing the job.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
can you give a description or pic of your wormwood, and tell me how tall it grows? I bought 3 wormwood plants this spring, and have bucket planted them b/c I know it to be invasive. Had a friend, years ago, who had some planted in front of her garden. It was very pretty. It's taken me this long to find some plants! My intended use is: dry it and use it in nest boxes and chicken coop to help repel bugs. I also have: lemon balm (though I'm down to one spindly plant b/c the rest winter killed. That's NEVER happened to lemon balm here before! Oregano, citronella, and just bought PennyRoyal. All are aromatics that I hope to use in the coop. Creeping Charlie grows freely all over the lawn and is invasive into garden. I don't mind it b/c it seems to be a wonderful bug repellant. And, I like the pungent minty smell of it.

I'm putting mint and garlic scapes/leaves into my weed tea. They seem to prevent mosquitoe larvae! Bought 6 goldfish for my rain barrel today. The mosquito dunks were not doing the job.
I've thought about getting some goldfish for my largest pond, but don't know what will happen to them in the winter.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How big is your pond? Is it a dug pond, in the ground, or is it a plastic lined affair? In many areas, it's illegal to have goldfish outdoors b/c of the risk of them getting into natural waterways and naturalizing. They could easily get established. My barrel is covered, and has small drain holes so it can never overflow. If there was any possibility of them getting out, I would not keep them. Goldfish can survive the winter any where the water does not freeze completely.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ok, @Beekissed here is what I got done from 8am to 3:30
I raked gravel in the walk way to the coop gate / squash garden area, then raked up all of the leaves from the driveway gate, around the house, ran the mower over the dry grass in the driveway/around the house, [ I did kill a poor frog, stupid thing was in the dry grass]
View attachment 16369
then used the leaf blower to get rid of what ever was left,

View attachment 16367

Next put that spray on window wash stuff in my wash tub ( I find it easer to just dip my window wash pole in the tub of soap) and I first hosed off the outside of the house and windows- then washed all of the outsides of the windows,. The big ones I get with my 20 foot pole. BUT, I cant do them on the inside even with a ladder 🥺
View attachment 16368

Then I went back behind the shop and mowed the grass.
I got all of the tools put away and went in and started the kitchen, washed and put all the dishes away, wiped everything down, folded a load of wash, vacuumed the kitchen, bathroom and livingroom, dumped all the trash, washed the dog bowls,
AND
MADE a cup of coffee,
After coffee I am going to put a load of wash in, go rake the run and get the eggs, then get supper going.
You have a lovely home!!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A lovely home to go with that lovely garden! It’s 5:37 here, halfway down a cup of coffee, got a load of clothes washing.

Two mornings ago, I got an early call from my ex sister in law. My son had rolled his truck on the way to work. 4 deer were in the road, he hit one, swerved, ran off the road, hit a culvert and started rolling.

His cousin is a local police officer, dispatch called him and told him what happened. State trooper called him and said DS was refusing the ambulance. Cousin said to wad DS up and make him go, he rolled his truck 10 years ago and broke his neck. A friend of DS got there and reinforced, GET IN THE AMBULANCE, so he did.

The good news, DS broke no bones, no internal injuries. He had 3 bruises on his lungs so they kept him overnight for observation. They were afraid of a blood clot forming and breaking loose. There was NO ROOM to put him in. He spent the night on a small ER examination, I don’t want to even call it a bed. Guerneys we’re all in the hallways, not any rooms in ER left, people were being triaged on the halls.

I drove the almost 2 hours to Lufkin and stayed most of the day with him. His truck, a 1989 Ford one ton, is completely totaled. It is a mass of bent and twisted metal. Even the frame is bent. There is absolutely nothing to be saved. When he was upside down, he heard the motor racing until it quit. So the motor burned up too. He is heartbroken, he loves old trucks.

Son has a new Ford one ton dually, King Ranch, with more bells and whistles than you can imagine. He was wishing he had wrecked THAT truck instead of the old truck.

Here is pictures. He walked away from this. The Grace of God was upon him.

9BD7E3FD-670B-4DFA-AFD1-7B9DF31A2022.jpeg

23F927E2-EF72-49AD-BB99-9BD96C867FAB.jpeg

85811E8F-583B-40F6-ACDF-94CFD524142C.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight my DD and family are coming from Odessa, with their 3 girls and 3 dogs. DD and husband will leave in the morning for Dallas airport to Italy for 10 days. They will be back late, will get a hotel room and we’ll meet them the next day to return dogs and kids to them. They both have new jobs in Corpus Christi, he starts August 2. They have a contract on their house in Odessa and have to find a home in Corpus Christi. DD is a college professor, DSIL is public school teacher. A friend of DD’s at the college, his sister has offered to move out of her 2 bedroom house and stay with him, so DD and family can stay in her house until they find a place. What a wonderful offer. When they come back, they will hit the ground running. We will entertain kids and dogs for the next 11days. DD and DSIL need this trip to enjoy and relax before riding a tornado!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bay, I will be praying for your son: that he will have a quick, uneventful recovery. He's gonna be sore in places he didn't even know he had for a long time to come. And, I'll pray for your tornado riders, and YOU as you help them to ride the tornado.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A lovely home to go with that lovely garden! It’s 5:37 here, halfway down a cup of coffee, got a load of clothes washing.

Two mornings ago, I got an early call from my ex sister in law. My son had rolled his truck on the way to work. 4 deer were in the road, he hit one, swerved, ran off the road, hit a culvert and started rolling.

His cousin is a local police officer, dispatch called him and told him what happened. State trooper called him and said DS was refusing the ambulance. Cousin said to wad DS up and make him go, he rolled his truck 10 years ago and broke his neck. A friend of DS got there and reinforced, GET IN THE AMBULANCE, so he did.

The good news, DS broke no bones, no internal injuries. He had 3 bruises on his lungs so they kept him overnight for observation. They were afraid of a blood clot forming and breaking loose. There was NO ROOM to put him in. He spent the night on a small ER examination, I don’t want to even call it a bed. Guerneys we’re all in the hallways, not any rooms in ER left, people were being triaged on the halls.

I drove the almost 2 hours to Lufkin and stayed most of the day with him. His truck, a 1989 Ford one ton, is completely totaled. It is a mass of bent and twisted metal. Even the frame is bent. There is absolutely nothing to be saved. When he was upside down, he heard the motor racing until it quit. So the motor burned up too. He is heartbroken, he loves old trucks.

Son has a new Ford one ton dually, King Ranch, with more bells and whistles than you can imagine. He was wishing he had wrecked THAT truck instead of the old truck.

Here is pictures. He walked away from this. The Grace of God was upon him.

View attachment 16374

View attachment 16375

View attachment 16376
Why was the hospital that full?