Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got most of the porch cleaned off, hauled a load of pure-Dee crap to neighbors dumpster. Put possible keepsbles down at one end. I want to try to make it useable. I guess I’ll have to start putting insulation between the 2x6 rafters, then heat barrier, then some sort of ceiling board. Just what I need, another project. Porch does look a thousand times better.

Outside blinds wouldn’t work because of the extremely dusty environment. We are on sugar sand, no matter what I do, the dust settles everywhere. They would just be another PITA to clean. But I’ve found some nice bamboo blinds I want, to put on the inside, on the backside windows. Coupled with the window film, it should block a lot of the heat.

I got the big dining window and the two small kitchen windows done yesterday, they look good. Need to get another roll for the back bedroom.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled the garlic. I noticed there were small cloves attached to the roots of the main bulb that broke away easily when I pulled the main bulb. So I left those in the ground.

I have the 'top hats" hanging upside down in a tied up bundle to dry out some. I told my wife to figure out where she wants the next batch to be planted for 3 years to harvest.

There's also another patch, that didn't developed top hats and died back so I guess that will be next year's harvest? IDK...

I suspect there are more bulbs in this spot that were mowed down but we'll see next year what happens, I guess.

Bulbs are good sized :) and pungent. I have no idea what the variety is but it's most definitely stiff necked, no braiding these.
IMG_20210704_121820332~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I then weeded and mulched where I pulled the garlic with this wet stinky CCX, Turkey, Chickens, Ducks Hay and Barn Lime deep bedding. I left the tulip poplars saplings when I weeded. Hopefully I did everything right and we'll be able to pull garlic again from here one of these years : 😂

IMG_20210704_135826458_HDR.jpg

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I then weeded and mulched where I pulled the garlic with this wet stinky CCX, Turkey, Chickens, Ducks Hay and Barn Lime deep bedding. I left the tulip poplars saplings when I weeded. Hopefully I did everything right and we'll be able to pull garlic again from here one of these years : 😂

View attachment 16330

You did everything right if you left the Tulip Poplar saplings.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We keep our flag up all year.
Fireworks Here too, it was loud up until 11pm, the dogs did ok.
Tonight will be the loudest. Our old RIP Rottweiler Max, OML he would bark non stop and you couldn't stop him.
These 2 are a bit jumpy because they can hear noise that is "not normal" noise.
I'll keep the tv on for background noise, that worked last evening.
None of the animals or birds were upset by the fireworks. None were close, though, but still noisy. We used to have a Doberman that was so scared of the fireworks. She used to hide in the bathroom.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lost all of our garlic two year ago to voles, or moles or both. I had almost 200 cloves planted, and all gone. Started all over this year. Ordered Music hard neck garlic and planted in a raised bed (Music is what we grew before). No problem! All 10 cloves came up and they're beautiful. I'll probably have to save all of the cloves to replant in the fall. Always going to sow garlic in a raised be for now on!