Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chickens can't eat all the scraps & overflow --- buy a pig! 2023 a MUST.

HW canning working. Freezer crammed. 2nd DW load going. Dehydrator full & running. Double sink needs my help to clear out. Time out for a lunch break. Chores again in a few hours. One of my does is either in heavy heat or thinking about labor. 🤷. Hey, were all having fun, right? 😁👍🎊🤪💕🙄😲

i usually put as many scraps as i can in the worm buckets and then the rest gets buried. during tomato canning season i have a trench ready to go for those scraps. keep them buried so that the fruit flies don't start up.

i am also glad that we keep it on the simple side here and only can tomatoes, everything else we grow gets eaten fresh or steamed and we get to it. onions, squash, garlic and peppers all take some time to go through and some gets processed and put in the freezer but we don't have a huge amount of room in there so that limits it some too.

beans that turn into dry beans are picked when ready enough and dried in the pods and put into big paper bags until i can shell them out - depending upon the weather this can go into mid-winter or not. it's always interesting to see which did well and those that didn't. so far looking ok out there for the most part.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So we have been heavily patronizing our two local organic farms. With one, whom I have known forever, we buy some of his end of week leftovers, which he graciously gives a discount.

The wife stopped to get MORE green beans, a whole different story, and he was lamenting his Roma tomatoes are coming in and Noone wants any. I guess we are getting tomatoes 🍅? I do want to make spaghetti sauce, but hopefully can take a weekend break

I do want some pickled jalapeños, so definitely getting more. Thinking of freezing a bunch of veggies to can soup in the fall.

Fall red beets are about all I have left on my list....except for those dang zucchinis

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So we have been heavily patronizing our two local organic farms. With one, whom I have known forever, we buy some of his end of week leftovers, which he graciously gives a discount.

The wife stopped to get MORE green beans, a whole different story, and he was lamenting his Roma tomatoes are coming in and Noone wants any. I guess we are getting tomatoes 🍅? I do want to make spaghetti sauce, but hopefully can take a weekend break

I do want some pickled jalapeños, so definitely getting more. Thinking of freezing a bunch of veggies to can soup in the fall.

Fall red beets are about all I have left on my list....except for those dang zucchinis
Could you can a very simple tomato basil soup, that would be good right out of jar or as a base for so many other tomato based sauces? Tomatoes and Basil go really well together.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Could you can a very simple tomato basil soup, that would be good right out of jar or as a base for so many other tomato based sauces? Tomatoes and Basil go really well together.
Thanks, that's something to consider. The family recipe is to cook tomatoes, peppers, and onions, then run through the food mill, cook down, and then can.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, that's something to consider. The family recipe is to cook tomatoes, peppers, and onions, then run through the food mill, cook down, and then can.
Tomatoes, peppers and onions are like the fundamentals over here. Add salt, white and apple cider vinegars, cook down and you got garden salsa 😋
IMG_20220808_230523208.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: