Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the road to Walla Walla
I was over there a while back. Between Walla Walla and Pasco/Tri cities. It was a looooong long drive.
Mom has told stories about winter in Pendleton
I had to run through Pendleton on the way. It was blowing snow (since KS, CO, all across WY etc..) and you couldn't see 30' in front of you. They have HUGE signs over the road to tell you about weather/road conditions. You couldn't see the sign until you were right under it, even at 25-30 mph.
For the first time through it was quite an experience when you can't see ahead of you but did see the sign steep grade next 4 miles.
I had to buy chains just in case before driving back home.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was over there a while back. Between Walla Walla and Pasco/Tri cities. It was a looooong long drive.

I had to run through Pendleton on the way. It was blowing snow (since KS, CO, all across WY etc..) and you couldn't see 30' in front of you. They have HUGE signs over the road to tell you about weather/road conditions. You couldn't see the sign until you were right under it, even at 25-30 mph.
For the first time through it was quite an experience when you can't see ahead of you but did see the sign steep grade next 4 miles.
I had to buy chains just in case before driving back home.

Cabbage Hill is dangerous in winter. Steep grade and ice don't mix. That's the I-84 going down into Pendleton off the Blue Mountains.

Fun fact, those signs were put up by the Army when they built the incinerators to destroy all the mustard and nerve gas out at the Army Depot. Originally all the signs would have is the test message. Real message would have been "Warning! Contaminated area! Do not enter!"

There was a nasty dust storm back in 1999 between Pendleton and Stanfield/Hermiston. Blackout conditions with the wind blowing over freshly plowed dryland wheat fields. Massive wrecks and 6 people died. State talked to the Army about if they could run emergency messages on the signs after that. Army gave the ok and the signs were turned over to Oregon after the Depot closed.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't be 100% sure but I think Jack thinks he's a dog with tree climbing super powers.
IMG_20221202_162053867~2.jpg

My hunting dog, wife's dog and Jack, get along just fine. Which is good because I strive for peace.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is cold, like nose hair freezing cold, 2F and feels like -14F--let's just say it was cold doing the chickens and they were not impressed. And then I grabbed some wood while I was out there. Ice with snow last night, DH said roads were not great this morning, thankfully I don't have to go anywhere but it is library Sat so if the sun comes out maybe I can take the little one early afternoon. Otherwise I am going to do some baking to warm up the house :) Happy Saturday

Latest posts