Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A shelter that faces AWAY from the prevailing direction of the wind is what you want. If it is east, fine... if the winds come out of the east then face it south. Southern facing is usually better for "winter warmth" due to the angle of the sun.

This. All shelters must face North here. Otherwise the rain gets driven into it. Normal weather comes in from Southwest, but if we get an offshore flow, it will come from the Southeast.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Browning isn't as much of an issue as is was a generation or 2 ago because fruits have been bred for less browning (higher vitamin C content).

I don't acidify my fruit slices. Work fast, get them drying ASAP. I don't need them to be white 🤷‍♀️ my apple chips turn out golden - they're from a very old tree woth apples that brown heavily.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine are sliced and laid onto the trays as I go...turn on unit. I do not peel. So some light brown? I'm ok with that. 😁. My grandma actually did dry on a string in the sun! Only way. If weather bad, she'd string them in kitchen, near the wood cook stove. Most of theirs were saved whole in a cellar that was dug into the hill behind their house.

IMG_20221212_163345149_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You see what I seen? Yep that's black Angus calf on the side of a 4 lane divided hiway, speed limit 65 mph and during rush hour ofcourse.
IMG_20221212_163827417.jpg

I called 911, baby sat the calf with emergency flashers on and I long stick. 911 called the police, the police came and went and rustled up the cattle company owner. The owner and I must have ran the calf 3/4 a mile to get it in a gate. Owner asked if I could keep moving him down the fence row while he took his truck and opened the gate. It was getting dust by the time we finally got "Crazy Calf" in the gate. My legs are sore, it's OK I needed the exercise anyways 😂 The little calf was probably about 350 lbs and a wild one. But if it got on the hiway, it wouldn't have been pretty.

All it took was a long stick and a tall stance to move him along. They don't like sticks pointed at them much. I got a pat on the back and a "Thank You Pardner". The owner was working on the fence, when I drove back by. Seen truck.lights in the pasture.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reina went to the vet today. She had a slight runny nose when I picked her up. I figured give it a week, it would either go away or get worse. Plus whatever else might show up. Lungs were clear, lymph nodes clear, throat clear, just sinus infection. Just goopy nose. She got a shot of antibiotics for that.

Then her teeth, they needed floating. Her teeth had sharp points, top and bottom, both sides. She was sedated, rigged up in a head stall with a metal mouthpiece that held her mouth open. The vet filed her teeth down with an electric file.

6389794B-DFAD-4472-AC25-A85A17F6FCDE.jpeg

C22C706B-224C-4A3C-AA6E-D927941EDB4B.jpeg

A68618CA-A729-4B96-BE63-B41D014F9C9B.jpeg