Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cookies!! Well, I'm thinking I might make one batch next week😁😁. OR an apple cake ... Great with morning coffee. In fact, that'd be good this morning! No kids or office workers to share at this stage of life. DGD will be 21 in a few months...she makes cookies for us now. I don't miss marathon baking, only the fresh eats.

I've had a few days at home. I'll work today and tomorrow. Then, home again for a few...I like this scheduling. It's our slow season. End of Jan they crank up again...overwork really.

I'll review winter farm preps this coming weekend. Jan/Feb is normal bad weather winter months, so double check. Goat kidding heavy in Feb, looks like a couple will be mid Jan 🤔. Last year I had them starting March...I liked that, warmer. But "they" had eyes for this new buck and took things into their own control 😵‍💫 soooo.....I'm praying for a "warmer" Feb like the one last year that made the plum tree flower!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting! also note that some of us just use it as a lighter expression of refusal to engage in overloaded commercial buying of things that aren't needed. i don't mind gifts that i actually need, but i don't want random people buying me stuff that i'll end up not wanting and then i have to do the work in getting rid of it or worse throwing it away.
Right On!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cookies!! Well, I'm thinking I might make one batch next week😁😁. OR an apple cake ... Great with morning coffee. In fact, that'd be good this morning! No kids or office workers to share at this stage of life. DGD will be 21 in a few months...she makes cookies for us now. I don't miss marathon baking, only the fresh eats.

I've had a few days at home. I'll work today and tomorrow. Then, home again for a few...I like this scheduling. It's our slow season. End of Jan they crank up again...overwork really.

I'll review winter farm preps this coming weekend. Jan/Feb is normal bad weather winter months, so double check. Goat kidding heavy in Feb, looks like a couple will be mid Jan 🤔. Last year I had them starting March...I liked that, warmer. But "they" had eyes for this new buck and took things into their own control 😵‍💫 soooo.....I'm praying for a "warmer" Feb like the one last year that made the plum tree flower!
I WANT to make cookies but am not, :rolleyes:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't mind gifts that i actually need, but i don't want random people buying me stuff that i'll end up not wanting and then i have to do the work in getting rid of it or worse throwing it away.
That's true and FH always gets me stuff for the house or what I need. Some of our friends and I do "Secret Santa" which is we only buy 1 gift for the person name we pick from a hat (bowl or whatever is easy to stick pieces of paper in) and only buy kids (younger than 18) a couple gifts but no matter those gifts are needed plus we having spending limit on how much a gift can cost. Believe me when I say there's more kids than there is adults but it's still fun. Yes, a couple gag gifts get given each year to someone new (not the same person). We have a party on Christmas Eve with our friends (who are more like family) and draw the names right around Thanksgiving so it's not rush around and try to get a gift which a lot of thought didn't go into.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like this scheduling. It's our slow season. End of Jan they crank up again..
Slow Season...... my FH is still working 12+hours a day seeing how they are still paving/milling and they just started a BIG job which has to be completely done no later than Saturday.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is Fermenting day, not a lot but just a few things.
I have a bunch of garlic, a bit of ginger and a great head of red cabbage. also I have my scoby in the fridge that I will be taking out and getting new batch of Kombucha going. image_67176193.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is what aggravates me (2nd pic), Christmas and New Years hasn't come and gone yet and stores are already putting Valentine's stuff on shelves.

Wow. Usually they put up organization stuff for new year's and tax season between the holidays.

I refuse to buy holiday items before the preceding holiday is over. And I try to get holiday stuff on clearance after the holiday (or from thrift stores) so I'm not contributing as much to the consumerism machine.