Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
50+ years and I am still not acclimated to this weather. Wore my insulated hiking boots, insulated Carhart coveralls, heavy work gloves, knit cap yesterday in the 30 degree weather and was cold after 30 minutes. Ugh
I’m a winter wimp. I put on Carhart insulated overalls, a sweat shirt, sweat hoodie and knit hat. And I’m in Texas! I does get cold here, just not months at a time.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's dark again, the close of another day. We had a 3 hour church service this morning, I needed the renewal \o/.

After church, I hayed the cattle, chickens, turkeys and ducks. Gathered up a little firewood. Counted 16 hay rounds. Figured if cattle average 1 round a week that put me into the beginning of April, so I should be fine with hay.
IMG_20221218_142110614.jpg

I would like to improve the upper pasture this year. Sage grass is growing in it. Most likely will take in soil samples to FS and see what's up. Could be a result of the drought also. Cattle graze right around the clumps of sage grass. Sage grass is considered poor to fair forage for cattle. So probably best to try and reduce it as much as possible and encourage better forage. Thankful the drought is over.

I enjoyed my day, I hope your Sunday was an enjoyable day also.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do believe we are all fixing to have a couple of cold days. Even cold for ye yankee's. I say but I say this twice a year. When it's cold and then when it's to wet. But anyway I say it's a good time to watch Lonesome Dove. Just one of the best all time ever.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is possible to acclimate, i already feel better this time of the year, but i think what also helps is that the humidity starts going down so you don't feel it as much. there's certainly more static now and my sinuses hate me - time to drink more water and hide more under the covers at night. 63F is the new 98F... ok, ok, i just made that up... good night John Boy! :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the cold, if wouldn't have enjoyed it a little.too much when I was a kid. Frostbit hands and toes from back then come back with a vengeance now. Some things are easier when the ground is frozen. I'll probably be the only one you know who fertilizes the garden with chicken manure and wood ashes, when it's froze up solid. Better than wading in the mud 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸