Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep...we got a few days of record freeze cold temps here at Christmas. Like 40 yr record. But norm average is mid 40 days upper 30 nights right now. We've been slightly above so far. I'm hoping it continues thru Feb when goats are kidding. 🤞🙂

Been home all week, most of last week...jobs little to none this time of year. Working 2 days next week. Appreciate decent weather. Only light heat needed, which keeps that electric bill down. Always good.

Going to look at a goat today. 🙄 I'm addicted.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep...we got a few days of record freeze cold temps here at Christmas. Like 40 yr record. But norm average is mid 40 days upper 30 nights right now. We've been slightly above so far. I'm hoping it continues thru Feb when goats are kidding. 🤞🙂

Been home all week, most of last week...jobs little to none this time of year. Working 2 days next week. Appreciate decent weather. Only light heat needed, which keeps that electric bill down. Always good.

Going to look at a goat today. 🙄 I'm addicted.

Oh good for you!!!
let us see pics if you get one!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM I read that you can easily run 6-8 head per acre....I'm waaay below that :lol: actually not thinking I'll buy, it was early week thought from a sales add. Did set up to look, it's close, so will go. Boer doe 🤷 iffy if I want to spend, more eye candy. Sales are slow right now for breeder stock, maybe I can negotiate price enough but certainly can walk as I don't "need" the doe and I'll see her condition. Good buyer position. Not my first rodeo.

And yes -- offering less than I would sell for! However, I could "not sell" if mine, just to hold off price. Will see how badly they want to sell. Last group I bought at ridiculous prices, JUST BECAUSE seller wanted out and I bought all at once. It's often about personal decisions and not the animal for a seller.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well that's it! You need more stock to make good use of your facilities! However, as you said it is a buyers market these days. Go look and hopefully fall in love and negotiate a great deal!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
For those of you who have never been to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. These stairs are on the historical tour. You need to climb up these stairs on your way out. I love this place. My son (fear of heights) and my wife (horrible knees), not so much.
Screenshot_20230113-111341_Facebook.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For those of you who have never been to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. These stairs are on the historical tour. You need to climb up these stairs on your way out. I love this place. My son (fear of heights) and my wife (horrible knees), not so much.
THAT is the reason I'm ok seeing things in pictures, lol. When my DD was a toddler ExH and I went on a vacation with both kids. DS was about 7, DD about 2. We went to a small cave somewhere along the way. It wasn't very well developed and there were times when we climbed very steep stairs with ropes for hanging on to instead of rails. DD got tired and had to be carried (by me). I told ExH to get behind me and push or we weren't going to make it out of there alive! It was a definite struggle and I was never so happy to see the sun and sky when we got out of there!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning CHer, working on 2nd cup here too. Fixing to get colder here. I was enjoying it staying 30 or above over night. No frozen hoses, no busting ice or carrying water. Atleast the bees won't eat so much.
We got about an inch of snow overnight. Still an awesome day though. Almighty allowed me to go from horizontal to vertical this morning. That's always a good sign \o/

Got the wood stove fired up, it's nice and toasty warm. The snow wasn't forecast but got an overwhelming feeling yesterday that I should set another hay round out for the cattle. So my wife and I did that yesterday evening. Cattle can't graze when the pasture is white. I need to water them and walk water out of 200 foot of hose still. I'm Not letting the fowl out because there's a big hawk hanging round looking for a meal I'm sure.

Have an awesome day, hug the family, your so blessed to have them ❤️

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For those of you who have never been to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. These stairs are on the historical tour. You need to climb up these stairs on your way out. I love this place. My son (fear of heights) and my wife (horrible knees), not so much. View attachment 22195
I've been there, I found it to be kind of a yawn fest actually. Underground is not really my thing... I would rather much be above ground, even in the worst of weather. I'm sure some people enjoy it, that's why it's there.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Working off marbling, toughing up that beef 😳 I was told, keep them calm and satisfied (don't run them) 🙄

0a2ecd24063c4d85.gif

I've been seeing cattle around here, where I didn't see cattle, even a year ago.

News travels fast on the country grapevine 😁 Lord willing, romeo will be ready this spring. I've had several enquires about leasing "red bull" out for stud services, I've turned down multiple offers. I'm a simpleton, so it's pretty simple... Only if you are my neighbor or my friend will I allow him to stud and his service will be free.

Last edited: