Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have only used Arm & Hammer for years and years. But after pricing, have found that for the number of loads, the liquid is cheaper to buy 99% of the time. Since my barn clothes have lots of cow manure and things they are pretty dirty and if I help at the barn with anything mechanical, or in the summer with greasing the rake or tractor or anything, there is grease to deal with too.... the A&H does the best job. I will add 20 Mule team Borax to the wash sometimes... and I always do a 2nd rinse to make sure the soap is out since there is alot of limestone in our water... very hard. All the laundry has gotten hung out for the last 20-40 years I guess. I used a drier a few times when I waitressed and needed clothes done to go to back to work the next day.... it has been in storage for 20 years. I preferred the powdered, but cannot justify the higher cost for the number of loads it will do.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daisy and Oreo say hay. Get a load of that cowlick between their eyes. Same crazy cowlick on both 😂
IMG_20230117_145210453~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sulfur compounds give the wife bad reactions. A few years ago something changed (she found some anecdotal info that big companies changed their sourcing of sulfur products). Laundry products, soaps, and shampoos.

we also have issues with scents and additives. so far we've found that the FOCA is ok but none of the softeners or dryer sheets are ok.

for soap i've found that the hand soap they sell at Sam's in big jugs (it has aloe vera in it and vitamin E) works ok for me for showers and washing hair and we do ok with Ajax lemon dish soap. sometimes things do change though and you get a batch of something that causes problems.

same with food items. sometimes we do ok with something we buy and try and then the next time it causes problems.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
To save money, I think I may stop drinking coffee. The price has gone up, its stupid. a 3lb bag of whole bean organic ?? san Francisco Bay rainforest is $25, the kirkland 3lb can is the same. I refuse to pay that much, we can do without.
I quit buying butter and 1/2&1/2, we have cut WAY back on the amount of cheese we use,
I make my own noodles, bread, tortillas, biscuits and pizza dough. We have cut our flour consumption way back too.
I use WM brand french roast...about $12, 3#. If their Sumatra is on sale I sometimes buy that. After a reset in coffee, a funky shaped container of their french roast was discounted to $2.99 for that 3#. I bought a real supply! 😂. I enjoy my coffee and I save elsewhere.

Milk, cream, butter and several cheeses...my girls give plenty of goat milk so I make it. Not a big bread eater but, do make most of it and biscuits. I use very little sugar. Rarely have any soft drinks. Sometimes trade milk & eggs for fresh fruits.

We each have our saving areas. I know people who never drink coffee 🤷 and people who have coffee flavored sugar :lol: often what we don't like saves us $$ 😁. Or live in an area where a product is grown & sold cheaply.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning All!
I been up since 4, had to take the puppy out, get FH lunch together and catch up on a couple of the games I play while drinking first cup of coffee now waiting on FH to get up.
FH will only drink coffee if it has liquid French Vanilla creamer (and it has to be International Delight) so we get him a big bottle which lasts him almost all month long but with me on the other hand I drink my first cup of coffee with any flavor liquid creamer and NO SUGAR I have then the rest (which is plenty of cups) is plain powdered creamer and 1/2 tsp of sugar per cup.
live in an area where a product is grown & sold cheaply.
SUPPORT FARMERS!! I'm all for that!!!! We get our eggs (brown, free range) from one of FH co-workers parents who have a small homestead. It's come to our attention that they are going to be raising the price on a dozen eggs only because the chicken feed prices are going up and they are worried about no one buying them but we told them we would keep on buying them seeing how a dozen eggs in the store are $4-6 per dozen and very small compared to the ones we get from them plus the ones in the stores aren't really that fresh (8 weeks or older):sick. During Spring and Summer they also grow veggies which we get from them too then I blanch them and put in vacuum sealed bags in freezer and have year round and they taste as good as when we got them.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use WM brand french roast...about $12, 3#. If their Sumatra is on sale I sometimes buy that. After a reset in coffee, a funky shaped container of their french roast was discounted to $2.99 for that 3#. I bought a real supply! 😂. I enjoy my coffee and I save elsewhere.

Milk, cream, butter and several cheeses...my girls give plenty of goat milk so I make it. Not a big bread eater but, do make most of it and biscuits. I use very little sugar. Rarely have any soft drinks. Sometimes trade milk & eggs for fresh fruits.

We each have our saving areas. I know people who never drink coffee 🤷 and people who have coffee flavored sugar :lol: often what we don't like saves us $$ 😁. Or live in an area where a product is grown & sold cheaply.

we dont eat a lot of breads either, my husbands has genetic high blood pressure and wont drink caffeine, it messes him up for days.