Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning All! HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!
I'm still working on my first cup of coffee for the day but got FH lunch packed plus sent him to work with leftover HOMEMADE Pizza and sent some for his co-workers too!!![ (8 slices Supreme; 6 slices sausage, hamburger, onions, peppers; 6 slices hamburger, sausage and pepperoni). No don't go thinking I spoil his co-workers seeing how it's not that often that I send something into them] plus took dogs out to do their business (which they are back snoozing).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@murphysranch

Hey there I wanted to show you the bottled brine in chicken waterer results. Overnight it hit a low of 17F. This morning it was brisk I let the chickens and ducks out. Like every morning they first go to the waterer. They pecked the layer of ice to get to the unfrozen water in the bottom of the tray.
View attachment 22526

Here is my finger that I easily poked through the thin top layer of ice to access the unfrozen water in the bottom of the tray.
View attachment 22527

Only thing I can think to try...

1) Increase the salt content in your brine.
2) Ensure the brine in the bottles is topped off to eliminate any air in the bottles.
3) increase the number of brine bottles inside the waterer.

We have 4 pint bottles in our 5 gallons waterer that sink to the bottom of the waterer.

i think i'd just use smaller ones with a handle and carry them out to replace the one out there, bring that one in to thaw out. rinse, repeat...

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
joy8.jpg

Have a safe, productive and good day,

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like some drainage ditches need to be cut to redirect the water to the pond.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Overflowing pond drained out to a low place which drained out to the road and helped flood it at my driveway.

5F1C2BA5-ECBD-4401-BD1B-928F8EF70D84.jpeg

Cut in the side of the dam is that small scoop about in the middle. That’s where the overflow went.

C12AF29C-0736-4434-B6DB-06DCAD88016F.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got up, had coffee, breakfast...did chores & went to. work. Same ole grind. But today I got to reset those dairy doors. 🥴. Cold. I don't like cold. Better than the freezer ones but, they'll come up next month. Four more stores of these to do. :rolleyes::sick oh well.

So hard after the winter slow time. Wanna stay home still :lol:

Gonna have some hot tea & go play with baby goats! :celebrate

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After 6 days and 5 nights of burn. I'm ready to shut the wood stove down and have it warm up outside already. i'm still slipping on ice out there, the north side barn door is froze shut in a icy tomb.

I hope the forecast is correct. I'll gladly take mud over ice any day. Like @baymule place, we to have no shortage of mud around here during the early rains.
IMG_20230203_150227201.jpg

Screenshot_20230203-150833.png

James 5:7

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸