Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! You have had a busy couple of days! I've always wanted to try. Kombucha. I have no idea how to get started. Where to get the starter... what do they call that? The mother?

My husband doesn't like kombucha*. He doesn't like shrub drinks either. He says it tastes too much like vinegar to him. I just don't see it, but I also like vinegar.

*he liked the kombucha that I made with green tea and matcha. It tastes very different than the regular stuff I make with black and green tea.

The gelatinous mass is called a scoby - symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast.

People even sell scobys on Amazon. Need some white vinegar as well to start using those. Takes a brewing or two to get good, drinkable kombucha.

DO NOT DUMP KOMBUCHA DOWN THE DRAIN ON SEPTIC! I've heard horror stories about what can happen in the septic tank. I'll dump it on the ground outside rather than the drain if needed.

Easily is to find someone near you to get a start off of. Can get the cup of kombucha needed to start a new batch as well so no vinegar needed. Healthy scoby multiplies pretty fast.

You don't have to use a gallon jar but most people do. I've been making it successfully in half gallons for years with cloth rubber banded over the top. Switched from clear to amber jars when those came out. I drink quite a bit so have 8 jars going. It seems to help my blood sugars.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, it's Groundhog Day... again! 😁 One of my favorite days of the year.
46 days Until spring!! 🦋

Clouds, now - but earlier, it was incredibly bright. DH drove me to a "new to me" feed supplier, in a nearby town. Family owned. Very nice folks. Then we stopped for breakfast at the coney. Came home and spent a couple hours out with the chickens. Just didn't want to go inside. It was 32° and felt so warm out, after what we've had, recently.
I can box up and ship you all my destructive little 4 legged ground hog critters. Both male and female, and babies too 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband doesn't like kombucha*. He doesn't like shrub drinks either. He says it tastes too much like vinegar to him. I just don't see it, but I also like vinegar.

*he liked the kombucha that I made with green tea and matcha. It tastes very different than the regular stuff I make with black and green tea.

The gelatinous mass is called a scoby - symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast.

People even sell scobys on Amazon. Need some white vinegar as well to start using those. Takes a brewing or two to get good, drinkable kombucha.

DO NOT DUMP KOMBUCHA DOWN THE DRAIN ON SEPTIC! I've heard horror stories about what can happen in the septic tank. I'll dump it on the ground outside rather than the drain if needed.

Easily is to find someone near you to get a start off of. Can get the cup of kombucha needed to start a new batch as well so no vinegar needed. Healthy scoby multiplies pretty fast.

You don't have to use a gallon jar but most people do. I've been making it successfully in half gallons for years with cloth rubber banded over the top. Switched from clear to amber jars when those came out. I drink quite a bit so have 8 jars going. It seems to help my blood sugars.

I have this to try on my want to do someday list of all things strange and wonderful. Can it be brewed in 1 gallon jugs? How big does this scoby thing get? Probably would get stuck in a jug? Would that be a bad thing?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have this to try on my want to do someday list of all things strange and wonderful. Can it be brewed in 1 gallon jugs? How big does this scoby thing get? Probably would get stuck in a jug? Would that be a bad thing?

Most people use gallon containers. The scoby willl cover the entire top. Then it grows another layer each batch so layer thickness may vary. I recommend only using something you can reach in to pull it out if it gets too big.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
dinner, spaghetti
I made noodles
View attachment 22534

This thread is also lacking a screen lick emoji.
Fix it
ed35efa7809fc619405d141b503bb6f6~2.jpg