Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So many troubles in our collective world today, but technology helped make a great afternoon. 40 years ago went to a Cleveland baseball opening day the first year of college with my (now) two best college buds. The three of us (South Carolina, eastern Ohio, and far western Ohio) collectively watched the Cleveland/Seattle game this afternoon and chatted/IMd real-time during the game. Good times

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So many troubles in our collective world today, but technology helped make a great afternoon. 40 years ago went to a Cleveland baseball opening day the first year of college with my (now) two best college buds. The three of us (South Carolina, eastern Ohio, and far western Ohio) collectively watched the Cleveland/Seattle game this afternoon and chatted/IMd real-time during the game. Good times
What a fun way to watch the game!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Up @4:30...having first cuppa now. Wanted an early start today, just not  this early. 🤣. Fixing something to eat!

Home all week. Plan to be productive.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was up at 4:30 too. Mind keeps rolling over all that I need to do. Get Stinky Dirty Birdies off the porch! Why do I raise CCX? I’m an idiot. Intensive labor, chickensitter to 50 piranhas with feathers, poop machines extraordinaire, draw enough flies to fill up the lizard that lives on the porch, he needs to call all his friends! Already feverishly dreaming of slaughtering the little gluttons. I’ll be working on chicken tractor today!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I was up at 4:30 too. Mind keeps rolling over all that I need to do. Get Stinky Dirty Birdies off the porch! Why do I raise CCX? I’m an idiot. Intensive labor, chickensitter to 50 piranhas with feathers, poop machines extraordinaire, draw enough flies to fill up the lizard that lives on the porch, he needs to call all his friends! Already feverishly dreaming of slaughtering the little gluttons. I’ll be working on chicken tractor today!
But it's only for a couple months, and then DONE!

FYI I was awake like 4am here, too. Coffee going down smooth

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Morning ALL! I think I have all you @Mini Horses @baymule @FarmerJamie beat seeing how I was up at 2:50AM (had to shut off auto brew and let the pot do it's thing, have it set for 3:30). I went back to bed after FH left for work and slept until 7:30. Coffee pot is empty now.
I know one thing don't push mow and do laundry on the same day!!!! Too much for me yesterday and all FH said was "I told you not try to kill yourself by doing it all" yet he was the one who was moaning, groaning about his shoulders and back hurting.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up @4:30...having first cuppa now. Wanted an early start today, just not  this early. 🤣. Fixing something to eat!

Home all week. Plan to be productive.

i think of all those cells in my body doing everything and it tires me out. :) they're very busy little things...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I built a about a 3/4 acre finishing yard. Starting finishing t-bone last week. He has about 45 days left to finish, processor had a look at him and told me not to fatten him up too much 😂.

He's a big boy, but didn't at all like being in the finishing yard alone. He would pace the fence looking for a way to get back to the herd. I could have just left him alone like that, in the finishing yard alone. But that's not who I am, I stive for peace and like it when the critters are comfy and happy. So after about 15 minutes of t-bone walking the fence row. I determined there has to be a better way. So I opened the gate and he ran to be with the herd.

For 6 days I stood at the finishing yard gate and sorted him back into the finishing yard so he could eat his cracked corn and commodity. Then I would open the gate and the cattle would come into the finishing yard. I would leave the finishing yard gate open and close it in the morning when they like to be in the back pasture. Egads man, that takes a lot of time and only thing I have is a sorting stick to get the job done.

So today I sorted the remaining cattle out of the finishing yard besides for t-bone and nugget (our youngest steer). I added more commodity to the finishing yard daily ration for nugget. So far so good, t-bone and nugget are grazing the finishing yard and seem happy together 👍. I just couldn't take t-bone being unhappy, pacing the fence like that. I guess cattle just don't do well being alone. They are herd animals, so common sense tells me, why would they?

BTW... I'm getting pretty good sorting cattle with a stick any old stick will do as long as it's about 3 foot long. I don't need my fancy fiberglass sort stick but it's better than a branch, it has more action.
I can now get them to move in the general direction I want them to and I can get them to stop moving. I can also get them sorted through a narrow gate opening, one by one and no horse just my boots 😂, It's a start 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸