Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
imagesxz.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No work today. Yeah right. I’ve been greatly concerned about some particularly noxious weeds, nightshades. I have 3 different types. Black nightshade, I’ve seen a few plants. Silver leaf nightshade, a patch of those on and behind the pond dam. And one called Jerusalem cherry, a big patch around the oak tree that provides shade for the dogs and sheep. Those were covered with fruits, turning a festive orange red and starting to drop off. Mowing would simply scatter the seeds and spraying with poison would have no effect on the seeds.

So I got my wagon and started pulling them up. The Jerusalem cherry has an extensive root system and spread with sprouts. Mowing them down did little to no good, as they evidenced by sprouting back up, with up to a dozen more plants forming a crown. They were covered with green balls turning to red. They had small white flowers. Determined toxic noxious plants want to live and make more seed!

IMG_4645.jpeg

IMG_4647.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

The Silver leaf nightshade had attractive purple flowers , elongated green leaves, silver underside. They mostly broke off at the ground, leaving their roots to come back again. When I did get a root, it was a long tap root. Weed survival, break off and come back. The stem was elongated, falling over, another survival trick, to escape the mower!

IMG_4651.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

Poor Sentry! He stayed with me, clearly asking me to stop this madness and take him inside the house where the magical AC makes life bearable. He was hot and sought refuge in the scant shade of the pond bank.

IMG_4654.jpeg

Finally! I pulled the wagon to the gate, then to dumpster and tossed the weeds.

IMG_4655.jpeg

I called Sentry and Carson to go in the house. They are both passed out, snoring.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also am back inside revealing in the AC and I have all 5 dogs (BRATS pure wicked very SPOILED brats I say) is in the house with me today also. There was no way 2 of them was going to stay outside in the heat today even though they have dog houses and access to water. Thinking about napping 😫😴💤 right beside them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got to milk chores a little late and HOT out there. The box fan in barn died, so dead air. Hot air. Will be buying another today! Goats didn't really care as they chowed down ☺️. Their bodies give off heat.🥺. It's the price of milking for fresh, delicious milk.
🤷😍

I have a little 2 hr job to do, so I'll get that fan while I'm at work. 👍

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I’m experiencing the benefits of the radiant heat barrier. I had the AC set on 76, normally inadequate for cooling. Came in from outside soaking wet, changed my shirt and got a cold drink. Got a second cold drink, crunched ice. Got a third glass of ice water. I got CHILLY!! I actually went out on the front porch to WARM UP! I pushed the thermostat to 78, normally inadequate, stuffy, and hot. It feels comfortable in here. In here, a mobile home that often makes me feel like a lump of cookie dough in an oven. In here, where the afternoon sun beats on the backside of the house, creating suffocating heat inside. Wow. I can’t wait to see what this does for my electric bill!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First fruit stark bros granny smith. The semi-dwarf tree is already 8+ foot tall. I forced it to flower by tip pruning the lead branches during bud break in early spring. I think that's pretty good for a 1 year old planted tree.
IMG_20230713_132824317.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-134911.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Latest posts