Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Grandmas Porch Is kombucha, a open air ferment, like sauerkraut or closed air ferment like with beer/wine with a airlock?

I see an awful lot of towels being held on with rubber bands over top of fermenting vessels. So I reckon open air ferment, although I question the sanitation practices of some internet batches 😲 I thought I would check with someone who I know will give me a truthful answer.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I’m experiencing the benefits of the radiant heat barrier. I had the AC set on 76, normally inadequate for cooling. Came in from outside soaking wet, changed my shirt and got a cold drink. Got a second cold drink, crunched ice. Got a third glass of ice water. I got CHILLY!! I actually went out on the front porch to WARM UP! I pushed the thermostat to 78, normally inadequate, stuffy, and hot. It feels comfortable in here. In here, a mobile home that often makes me feel like a lump of cookie dough in an oven. In here, where the afternoon sun beats on the backside of the house, creating suffocating heat inside. Wow. I can’t wait to see what this does for my electric bill!

I suspect it will help some with the electric. You were smart to put that barrier down 👍

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Grandmas Porch Is kombucha, a open air ferment, like sauerkraut or closed air ferment like with beer/wine with a airlock?

I see an awful lot of towels being held on with rubber bands over top of fermenting vessels. So I reckon open air ferment, although I question the sanitation practices of some internet batches 😲 I thought I would check with someone who I know will give me a truthful answer.

Open air— I use white clean cheese cloth over the top and a dark towel only to block the light—- I do use a rubber band but haven’t the last two batches,, it helps keep the cheese cloth tight to keep fruit flys out

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Open air— I use white clean cheese cloth over the top and a dark towel only to block the light—- I do use a rubber band but haven’t the last two batches,, it helps keep the cheese cloth tight to keep fruit flys out
Thanks for that. For the first batch, I'm just going to 100% black tea in a gallon food grade clean and sanitized bucket. We'll see how it goes or sours I guess 👍

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Romeo has figured out I'm not such a bad guy after all. He likes to be scratched behind the ears and patted firmly on the neck and he tries to lick me, cattle have long tongues and cow are licks nasty 👎

Am still leary of him and keep a close watch on him when I'm in the pasture with them. I wanted to halter train him when we first got hom, I should have, but I didn't :( it was a cold winter on old bones (mine). I know I could easily slip a halter on him now, but I won't because he's getting pretty big and I believe I would just be asking for trouble.

It's hard for me to believe he stepped hooves on our paster for the first time in November 2022, 8 months ago. He was so little then, he's stocky now though, cattle grow fast! Where do the days go in earth?

I need to start thinking about and planning for longevity of my little micro herd. It would be nice if the three females have bull calves. that way I could band them to become steers. But I'm sure there will be a heifer(s), If not this season, then other seasons. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I wouldn't mind another belted heifer or two for breding, just not from him.
IMG_20230607_192944851.jpg

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone! Right now the temp say it's 73 and cloudy out. We had rain and thunderstorms off and on all night long.
Yesterday I did end up taking a nap and I think it was 2-3 hours long but don't know for sure seeing how I didn't really see what time it is before my eyes closed.
I also have who in my bride squad is going to be wearing what colors (Best man and Groomsmen going to have same color shirt); MATRON OF HONOR is going to be in a Sage Dress (Best Man Sage shirt), BRIDESMAID 1 Dark Purple Dress (Groomsmen 1 Dark Purple shirt) , BRIDESMAID 2 Lavender/Lilac Dress (Groomsmen 2 Lavender/Lilac Shirt), BRIDESMAID 3 Lavender/ Lilac Dress (Groomsmen 3 Lavender/ Lilac Shirt), BRIDESMAID 4 Dark Purple Dress (Groomsmen 4 Dark Purple Shirt), BRIDESMAID 5 Country Purple Dress (Groomsmen 5 Country Purple Shirt) then 1 couple (very good friends of mine and FH) who is going to walk me part way down the center is going to be a Sage Dress and Sage Shirt then my Aunt ( I actually call her my TWIN SISTER [LOOOONG STORY there I'll tell that another time]) and her husband is going to finish walking me to FH is going to be wearing Country Purple Dress and Country Purple Shirt.
It's now raining here again!! We needed it though and hoping it has cooled it down some too!!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning! On my second cup of coffee. I’m going to graze the ewes in the yard this morning. Going to lunch with group of ladies at 1, so will put the ewe crew up before I leave. They are used to that anyway. Since I only have one fenced field, it’s ewe crew in the mornings, ram and ladies in the afternoons. A little feed and the ewes run back to their pen.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for that. For the first batch, I'm just going to 100% black tea in a gallon food grade clean and sanitized bucket. We'll see how it goes or sours I guess 👍

Well, I am not sure how the Fermentation will react with food grade plastic, ?????????
I would refer you to the master, Sandor Ellix Katz
plastic leaching is a big concern to me
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Sando...ramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true
I have this green book,
wild-fermentation-book-review-by-sandor-ellix-katz-book-cover-image.jpg
81TXJQhRBML._SY466_.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning! On my second cup of coffee. I’m going to graze the ewes in the yard this morning. Going to lunch with group of ladies at 1, so will put the ewe crew up before I leave. They are used to that anyway. Since I only have one fenced field, it’s ewe crew in the mornings, ram and ladies in the afternoons. A little feed and the ewes run back to their pen.
you Rock sister!!

Latest posts