Sustainability Master
Reaction score
628849a3ca2ee445-3-jpg.23967

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Suggestions needed please...

Chicken house, ready for soffit. The roof is 10 x 18, 1 foot overhang. The roof will be steel with steel facia. I was thinking about stapling insect screen all the way around for soffit.

Chicken house needs good air flow and keep insects out. Problem... I can't find aluminum insect screen, only fiberglass which won't last very long.

Soffit
Screenshot_20230805-135108.png

IMG_20230805_135633489~2.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are the chickens going to be kept inside the coop all the time? If they are going out, insects will come in the doors and or windows. What you need is to keep out the birds (a few will come in the chickens' door on occasion) and things like mice/rats/squirrels and varmints like coons and possums and such..... fine mesh like 1/4 or 1/2 hardware cloth will do that...Plus, you are going to want to make sure that in the cold of the winter they are not getting a draft either....
Too small a mesh and it will get clogged from the natural chicken dust that is produced with them scratching through the bedding and their own dander, in the air.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are the chickens going to be kept inside the coop all the time? If they are going out, insects will come in the doors and or windows. What you need is to keep out the birds (a few will come in the chickens' door on occasion) and things like mice/rats/squirrels and varmints like coons and possums and such..... fine mesh like 1/4 or 1/2 hardware cloth will do that...Plus, you are going to want to make sure that in the cold of the winter they are not getting a draft either....
Too small a mesh and it will get clogged from the natural chicken dust that is produced with them scratching through the bedding and their own dander, in the air.

Chickens & ducks will be locked in the house overnight. The will have free range to a fenced area currently pretty big 56 box 106 feet.

Windows will be screened they are screened sliders.

What I really don't want is bees making hives in the eves. Hardware cloth is a good idea if I can find it I small enough.

You forgot skunks 😂 although I'm pretty sure I got rid of the den that was under the barn floor.

I plan on closing the windows during the dead of winter, open the rest of the time. All the chickens and ducks I've had so far have done fine over winter even in a open air pen. So I'm not concerned with getting too cold for them. I usually add a thick hay layer so they can burrow in it if they want.

Mesh absolutely will get plugged probably more by me applying lime inside when it's needed than by the chickens but the combination of the two, will probably plug even larger mesh. I've already thought about that too. I can use my leaf blower to clear soffit from the outside when it gets plugged. Again my main concern is bees and wasps nesting in the eves.

Thanks for taking time to reply 👍

Edit... This may do although it would be nice if they had 1/8 or 1/16". I'll continue to look.
Screenshot_20230805-195629.png

This may be an option. Guess I need to go to town. Need to look and touch. I don't want to have to replace it in a couple of years.
Screenshot_20230805-201206.png

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Daylight is happening, gotta get outside and get chores done before church.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes ma'am, the floppy sort sticks we first got weren't all that. These are much better they are sort poles 👍

that's twice in a few days people have me gender confused. i'm "he" not "she"...

as for the hardware cloth, yes they do make it in smaller sizes, i had to get some for screening gravel.

Latest posts